Author Topic: Frank Burke - Mary Burke nee Lee - New York  (Read 1601 times)

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frank Burke - Mary Burke nee Lee - New York
« on: Sunday 25 October 15 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can shed some light on the following
In the 1940 US census there is a Frank Burke and Mary Burke with stepsons Clarence and Harold Sampson, Mary maiden name was Lee she may have married a McGinnis? and a Sampson
I cannot find a marriage between Frank and Mary, must be between 1930 and 1940, because she was living with her parents and sons in the 1930 census
Hope anyone can help ??? ???

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Burke - Mary Burke nee Lee - New York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 15 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her in 1920?

Manhattan Assembly District 14, New York
Clarence Sampson  23 born New York, occupation painter, parents born NY
Mary A Sampson  22 born NY,  parents born England
Clarence Sampson  8 months

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's her so in 1920 she was still married to Clarence and by 1940 she was with Frank Burke - getting there ;D
Cheers :D :D

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:04 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it could be Clarence snr in 1930
Manhattan, New York
Clarence Sampson  33 born NY occupation Painter, parents born NY
 Pearl Sampson wife 31 she and parents born Maryland

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:10 GMT (UK) »
So between 1920 and 1930, Mary must have divorced Clarence unless she divorced earlier as I said before she was living with her parents and kids in 1930, young Clarence was born about 1923 and Harold abt 1920  therefore between 1930 and 1940 she must have married Frank
Getting closer
cheers

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Here is a big leap. Just playing around with the names. It may be that she never actually married the last two - McGinnis and Burke. If she didn't marry them you are stuck on finding out the first name of the McGinnis I think as it happened between censuses.
Bronx, Bronx, New York
Bridget Reid  51
Nocholis Reid  25
Aloysious J Reid  23
Mary J Reid  19
Bridie Daly  20
Martin Daly  19
Harry Golden  23
Donald Murphy  26
Thomas Mcginnis  37   Boarder, Labourer Telephone Co.
Michael Garman  25
Edward Burke  24
Josh Atkinson  59

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Don't think that was the case, below is an extract of the info that I have which may make it a bit clearer
In the 1925 New York Census we have father John Richard Lee age 59 an Elevator Operator, wife Sarah, daughter Sarah age 2, Beatrice 20 , William 18 an Electrician, Martha 17, Mary Ann Sampson nee Lee 28 and her two children Clarence 6 and Harold Sampson 2, it’s around this time that she divorced from Clarence and went back to live with her parents.

The 1930 census is interesting, here we find John R age 64, his occupation an elevator operator in an apartment block and wife Sarah age 56 living with Mary McGinuis age 32, and Victor aged 33 and single, a mechanic in the automobile industry he (Victor) is listed as a brother which means that Mary is John R’s second born daughter Mary, she is a widow  Also we have Clarence Sampson age 10 and Harold Sampson age 7, they are listed as sons.

John’s daughter Mary Ann Lee married a Clarence A Sampson on the 2nd March 1917 in The Bronx New York 
It is believed that Mary and Clarence divorced and on the 26th September 1925, she married Caulfield McGismis (McGinuis) in Manhattan New York , son of Charles McGismis and Margaret McLene. Caulfield was a widower when he married Mary
Finally we have the 1940 USA Federal Census; a lot has changed in the last ten years, we find John Richard a widow aged 74 living in rented accommodation at US$20 per month at East 155 Street, the same abode since 1935.
His wife Sarah passed away on the 14th April 1936 in Bronx, New York, aged 62 she was buried on the 18th April 1936in St Raymonds cemetery 
The census record shows that father John was living with his daughter Mary aged 42 and her two sons Harold age 17 and Clarence Sampson aged 20. Intriguingly she is listed as wife, the head of the household is a Frank Burke aged 44, and the two boys are listed as Step sons.

Hope that helps to find Franks wedding although you may be right they didn't marry

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi ManU,

I got a message through a report to moderator about a member with zero posts who is related to Mary & Clarence and wanted to contact you. 

I can send you a PM with his e-mail if you'd like, and I will add this for his benefit in case he checks back here -

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.  New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gary Sampson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Mary Burke was my grandmother.

Gary Sampson
San Francisco