Author Topic: Thompson Family  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Hoffa56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson Family
« on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for family members of a Mary Thompson from Inchigeelagh, Macroom, Co Cork who emigrated to U. S. A. in the 1910's - 1920's. Her father's name was James Thompson and she had a sister Nora(h), brothers - John (Jack) & William. Assistance would be much appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 18:54 GMT (UK) »
The address doesn't match but the names do.
1911 Census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Bealanagarry/Carrignamuck/409384/
5 children living so 2 missing.
not far from Macroom.

This looks like the family in 1901 still no Mary with them
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Bealock/Gortnalarriga/1141295/

could just be a family with the same names.

What year approx would Mary have been born?

Offline Hoffa56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
The Thompson family lived in Bealock under the 1901 census and then moved to Carrignamuck between Inchigeelagh and Ballingeary as can be seen in the 1911 census. James Thompson was my great - grandfather and my grandmother was Nora(h) Thompson who married Timothy Cahalane and lived in Carrigdangan, Kilmichael until 1967 when she passed away. The home place in Carrignamuck was given to William ( Willie) Thompson by his father James and still is / was up to a couple of months ago where I think it was put up for sale. Mary Thompson would have been born around 1880 / 1881 and does show up in the 1901 census under Bealock but a different townland, she was in with a " Murphy Family". The reason why I mentioned Mary Thompson from the outset because I always remember my late mother stating that she had an aunt Mary Thompson who emigrated to America, maybe along with other members of the " Thompson Family". Long ago in my grandmother's time things were kept very secret compared to now days. John ( Jack) Thompson married Kate Cahalane and lived in Kilnadur, Dunmanway.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah you want to find what happened to Mary in America and who else may have gone?

Offline Hoffa56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
That is correct, as I am trying to assemble my " Family Tree" from my grandmother's side i.e. Thompsons and I am looking for potential relatives that may be living and descendants of Mary Thompson and any other sibling that may have also emigrated to America.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you know her mother's maiden name as that would set her apart from other Mary Thompson's with father James on a marriage record or such.

Offline Hoffa56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not, however between Bealock & Carrignamuck should be adequate enough. Based on your responses are you related to what could be considered as the Mary Thompson that I am looking for????

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Giving as much detail as possible will be helpful in finding what happened to someone with such a common name.  US census records will typically only list someone as being from Ireland/Irish Free State/Northern Ireland, and many US vital records won't give a more specific place of birth than Ireland.  Finding an exact date of birth and a mother's maiden name would likely aid in this search.  You can also try checking passenger lists on www.familysearch.org, as they should include a place of birth. 

You may be lucky enough to find a relative here, but most people just try to help others with their research. 

Offline Hoffa56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Mary Thompon's parents would have been James Thompson & Mary Holland. Mary Thompson would have been born in Bealock outside of Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork in 1880 / 1881.