Author Topic: Joseph Pearce/Mary Wansborough  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph Pearce/Mary Wansborough
« on: Wednesday 28 October 15 02:10 GMT (UK) »
The above are believed to be my 4th G Grandparents married 11 Nov 1779, Saint Mary, St Marylebone Road, London. They are believed to have had at least one son, Joseph born Nov 1784 St Albans, Hertfordshire died August 1883, St Albans.
Any assistance in advising further details of parents would be much appreciated.
Regards, Maxn

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Pearce/Mary Wansborough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if this could be your Joseph's burial from my index in 1833, ( could 1883 have been a typo :) ) on the 18th August aged 48 at St Peters St Albans. If so looking at the records on Family Search this Joseph would seem to be the one christened 17th Nov 1784 to Joseph & Elizabeth Peirce (sic) at St Peters. There are also 2 more records for possibly this same couple, Elizabeth Pearce 1781 & a Thomas Pearce in 1794.

A marriage for Joseph Peirce (sic) to Elizabeth Morris on the 12th Oct 1779 at St Peters does appear to correspond nicely.

This may or may not be your Joseph but hopefully it will help in some way. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddie.
Your information appears to be more in keeping with the family.
I must admit I found it difficult to believe Joseph (1758) married in London.
Cheers, Maxn

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome. :) I wouldn't always discount marriages in London for Hertfordshire folks, some of mine ventured into the city at times so it wasn't unheard of. ;)

I have found what I think may be the burials for Joseph Snr & Elizabeth in St Peters if it's any help. A Joseph Pearce was buried 23rd Nov 1817 aged 66 so born c1751 & an Elizabeth Pearce was buried June 2nd 1838 aged 86 so making her birth c1751 also. There is a possible baptism for an Elizabeth Morris in St Peters on the 7th Oct 1753 a daughter of William which may or may not be the correct one.

Hope this info is of use.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 05:27 GMT (UK) »
You are very kind Maddie. I'll look a little further but looks promising.
I should perhaps mention that what appears to be their grandchildren, George (1817) and Joseph (1815) born St Peters, Hertfordshire were both convicts who were transported to Van Diemans Land (Tasmania) on the " Lady Nugent" 12/7/1836. George married a fellow convict Mary Swan and had 7 children. It is from them that I am connected.
Kind regards. Maxn

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 15 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I had a look at the convict records for your George & Joseph & as they are stated to be brothers I would say it is looking very promising that they are the 2 boys born to Joseph & Sarah. I can't see another George or Joseph born to any one else in 1815 or 1817 in St Albans. :) I expect you have the details for the marriage of Joseph to Sarah Wright on the 10th Oct 1802 at St Peters. I believe her burial was April 3rd 1854 at St Peters, she was aged 76.

I also found the image of George's marriage to Mary Swan in Avoca on Family Search, what a shame there is no father stated for the groom. ::) Same goes for the marriage of Joseph to Eliza Truebody in Launceston 20th Dec 1845. :)

If you are interested there is a report of the 2 boys conviction in the Hertford Mercury on the 12th Jan 1836 that states Joseph & George were indited for stealing ten shillings from Joseph Gurney. It also says that the prisoners behaved in a most insolent manner to the court & had both been gaoled several times before for trifling matters. :P

It must have been a struggle for labourers back then to survive & I guess 10 shillings was quite a substantial amount to steal to warrant a sentence of transportation. Good to know they both made new lives in Tassie. ;D

Maddie

Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 15 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Maddie.
There is a suggestion that George Pearce was lucky to avoid the gallows in Tasmania as he was named as an accessory in a case against Jeffs and Conway who were hanged 26th July 1843, Launceston. I'm not 100% sure of George's involvement but it is possible. I have taken it as true to add a bit of colour to my Family Tree.
It is thought that both George and Joseph may have been buried in an unmarked grave, Christ Church, Longford, Tasmania. ( The times were that it was not unusual for convicted persons to not be awarded headstones or the like). It is believed that Mary Swan died in Swan Bay, Tasmania. Again can't be certain. One of their children, Fanny Pearce married a John William Henry Jones, son of George Henry Jones and Margaret Aitcheson ( both convicts).
What a wicked web we weave.