Author Topic: Missing George Mitchell - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh 1882  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing George Mitchell - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh 1882
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I've been revisiting this family, as I'm trying to connect them to the Mitchells in my line - think I may be getting there, but in the meantime, I can add a bit more to the story of John Mitchell and his three wives.

Jessie McWilliam, John Mitchell’s third wife, was the eldest daughter of Nathaniel McWilliam and his first wife, Isabella Murison. It seems Isabella Murison was the half-sister of John Mitchell’s second wife, Margaret Watt - who’s mother, Janet/Jessie Gall married Isabella’s father, George Murison after the death of her first husband, James Watt.

And just to add to the convoluted inter-relationships between these families, after Isabella died in 1862, Nathaniel McWilliam married his first wife’s cousin, Mary Yule/Youll, who was the illegitimate daughter of Janet/Jessie Gall’s unmarried sister, Barbara Gall.

Mary Yule herself already had an illegitimate daughter, Barbara, by an unknown father, when she married Nathaniel McWilliam in 1863. This Barbara subsequently took her step-father’s name and went with Nathaniel, Mary and four of Nathaniel and Isabella’s six children when the family emigrated to America in 1867. The two eldest daughters, Jessie McWilliam and her younger sister, Margaret, were the only two of Isabella Murison’s children who stayed in Scotland.

Nathaniel McWilliam and Mary Yule had a further eight children, the first two born in Scotland, and the remaining six in Iowa.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I suppose by now someone has pointed out that Jessie was his 3rd. wife.
George born, 2/08/1882, went to America in 1910. Will followup with more as i get it.

Unknownmale

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we do know that Jessie was his third wife. Well done on finding out about George!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 January 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
    Several George Mitchells in 1910 New York Passenger Lists but this one from Aberdeen is the likeliest.
     SS "Furnessia". Sailed from Glasgow-New York on 4th June 1910.
     List No. 7. George Mitchell, 27, Married, Horse Shoer, Scottish, Last Permanent Address: 24 Holland St, Aberdeen. Final Destination: Pa. Phila. (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). "Wife Mrs Mitchell" is written above the Aberdeen address. Not sure if that means she is still in Aberdeen.
     Several Aberdeen & Angus families on the same page including, immediately under George's name  at List No. 8. Alexr. Buyers, 35, Married, Horse Shoer from Peterhead bound for Wissinoming, Pa.
      Hope that helps you find George (& wife) in America.
               Regards,     Dod.
Added: Didn't realise this was a double page, so some more information.
     Both George Mitchell & Alexander Buyers were joining a friend, Jno (short for John?) McAdam, at Wissinoming. (Both horse shoers so thought there might be a connection) Alexander Buyers was born in Peterhead while George, who was 5ft 8.5ins, with fair hair & blue eyes, was born in Rosehearty.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post and I am sure you will have seen the OPR for the birth of Jessie McWilliam. thought I would post a transcript of same.

16th. January 1845, Nathanial McWilliam, Servant in Barrowhill of Strichen and Isabella Murison in New Pitsligo had a daughter born in fornication and baptised on 6th. February and named Jessie.
Witnesses,  John Watt and George Watt, both in New Pitsligo.