Author Topic: George Waddell Newlands  (Read 3093 times)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Waddell Newlands
« on: Saturday 31 October 15 07:47 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the parents of George Waddell Newlands if Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  Seems there are a lot of Waddells in Airdrie so I'm thinking that's his mother's name.  He was born Abt 1825. His son also named George Waddell Newlands migrated to New Zealand.  George Waddell Newlands snr married Margaret Brittan a daughter of Christopher Brittan and Susan Rankin.  These names have been repeated in subsequent generations.  I would be most grateful for any help.

Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: George Waddell Newlands
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Going by Census returns and births of children the family of George Waddell Newlands(senior) seem to be in Whitburn , West Lothian up to 1881.
There is a death for a George Newlands 1890 Fauldhouse , West Lothian , born c1824 , Fauldhouse is near to Whitburn( http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ ).

Can't see a likely death for his wife.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching Waddells in Airdrie for decades but haven't come across this one, or any other Newlands, so far in connection with any Waddells.

There's a George Newlands, age given as 20 so born 1816/1821, in the 1841 census of New Monkland with Margaret Lang (60), Margaret Newlands (40), John Newlands (36), James Newlands (34) and Robert Newlands (26). See http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi has a baptism of Jane Weir Newlands, parents David Newlands and Margaret Lang, in New Monkland on 27 August 1812.

So it looks as if this George Newlands could be the son of David Newlands and Margaret Lang.

In 1851 George Newlands, ironstone miner, 27, is in Airdrie with wife Margaret, 23, son David, 4 and daughter Susan, 1. There is a baptism of a Susan Rankin Newlands in the Free High Church, Airdrie, on 19 May 1850. I don't think there is any doubt that this is your family. FamilySearch has some baptisms to George N and Margaret B, but when I tried to narrow it to include only their children, it fell over!

FreeCEN doesn't have later censuses. You can view these, and the baptisms of some of the family, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. It's pay-per-view, but very modestly priced. It doesn't include anything from the Free Church records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Found this reference that may be of interest -
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTX5-WZS

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 15 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, found these births in case you don't have them.

Births:
George Waddell  bap. 5 Jan 1848  Airdrie, Lanark
Susan Rankin  bap. 23 April 1850  Airdrie, Lanark
Christopher  bap. 23 July 1852  Airdrie, Lanark
Margrate  bap. 28 March 1857  Whitburn, West Lothian
Janet  bap. 18 August 1859  Whitburn, West Lothian
John  bap. 14 August 1862  Whitburn, West Lothian
James  bap. 10 December 1865  Whitburn, West Lothian
William  bap. 13 March 1868  Whitburn, West Lothian
Agnes Brittan  bap. 16 April 1871  Whitburn, West Lothian

children to Christopher & Susan (Rankine) Brittan:
Janet  born: 30 April 1825  bap. 5 June 1825
Margaret born: 24 March 1827  bap. 19 April 1827
* both girls born in Shotts, Lanark
** the parents married 14 August 1820 in Dalserf, Lanark

I found this marriage and think perhaps the man may be related to George;

John Newlands
married
Christian Brunton (Brittan)
2 March 1820
in Glasgow, Lanark

As for George, I am thinking that perhaps he had relations living in Airdrie, so that after he married Margaret they set up house there. Later, they moved to West Lothian which has me thinking that he may have actually been born up that way. Going by naming patterns (not that everyone uses them), his dad may also have been a George. If so, there are 2 good births for him; 1822 to George & Margaret Bennet and 1825 to George & Grace Thomson. Hope something may help, Kim

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  That is definitely the younger George Waddell Newlands that migrated to New Zealand b 1848. I am certain his mother was Margaret Britton b. 1827 in Airdrie too.    Very helpful that a lot of the names have been used in later generations :)  I noticed someone had an Enoch Waddell marrying a Janet Newlands in the same location in 1683 in a tree so there seemed to be close connections with the two families too for sometime.

Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a death (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) for a George Newlands 1890 Fauldhouse, West Lothian, born c1824, Fauldhouse is near to Whitburn.

Fauldhouse is in the original parish of Whitburn, but it became a separate registration district in 1871 as the population of the village expanded.

To find out who George's parents were, you need to view that death certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I noticed someone had an Enoch Waddell marrying a Janet Newlands in the same location in 1683 in a tree so there seemed to be close connections with the two families too for sometime.

Sorry, but without proper evidence to link Enoch Waddell/Janet Newlands to your George Newlands that means absolutely nothing. It's well over a century before the birth of George Waddell Newlands, and there are umpteen different Waddell families, including a huge dynasty with their roots in Whitburn who are not connected to any of the main Waddell families in New Monkland(note families, not family - there are at least three separate Waddell families there, all traceable reliably back to the 17th century).

If, when you have found out who George's parents were and worked back, you find that Enoch and Janet belong to your tree, that's great. But don't waste time speculating. Get that death certificate and it should settle the question.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I've ordered it  :)