Author Topic: Storing documents and photos in a damp environment?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Storing documents and photos in a damp environment?
« on: Saturday 31 October 15 23:01 GMT (UK) »
When my mother-in-law passed away several years ago, we found several small boxes of neatly packed items such as documents, photos and framed photos that had been in the family for over 100 years.  (There really isn't anything of true monetary value - just items that are very precious to me, being the "family historian".)

We live in a damp house (it has three small roof leaks that three [four?] roofers have never been able to find the source and fix).  We also live two blocks from the ocean.

We consolidated the contents of my m-i-l's boxes into two large plastic containers, hoping to keep the dampness out.  The last time we looked, all was fine in the containers.  (I will look later today to see if all is still well.)

May I ask, please, how others might suggest we store the items, as California is now expecting to have heavier than normal rainfall this year?  If we keep them in the plastic containers I'm wondering if the contents will eventually be ruined from no air circulation.  If we store them in paper boxes again, I know the dampness will ruin the contents, as it has done so with some of my old photos.

Thank you for reading this long post and for any suggestions you may be able to offer.  Lisa

PS  I thought I had asked a similar question a few years ago, but I cannot find it, using the search feature.   :-\  Perhaps with the passage of time, there also may be better ways of storing items now.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Storing documents and photos in a damp environment?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa....this could be the answer:

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/electricals/home-electricals/de-humidifiers

We use them in our caravan to keep down the moisture.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol:

We have used little containers of "damp rid" around the house that collect moisture, but I didn't think of possibly getting a small dehumidifier.  At this time, most of my paperwork is in one room, so getting a little dehumidifier would work quite well, I think.  Thank you for the idea.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Can you get a supply of the stuff they put in little packets in some medications?
I think it's called silica gel ???

It absorbs moisture (probably the same stuff they put in those dehumidifiers) and when it's absorbed all it can, I think it changes colour.  You can then dry it out in a slow oven.  And reuse it.
This is OK for, say, half a dozen times.

At least that's what we used to do  :P
You'd put some in each container.

Otherwise, does your local library have a conservation section which could advise you?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn:

Good idea about the little packets; I will have a look around for them.  (It really gets damp here; I might end up using all suggestions received in this post!)   ;)

I don't believe our library has a conservation section but we do have a couple of "antique" shops in our town; perhaps someone there might be able to suggest the best way to store documents.

I appreciate your suggestions and will be sure to post any results that I may get.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it gets really damp in summertime where I live, too.

I used to use the system for storing my photographic slides.

When I said library, I meant not your little suburban library, but your state/county library which stores historic documents etc, for the conservation advice  :)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 15 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn:

Unfortunately, we cannot get to the nearest county library at this time nor in the near future.  Perhaps I may be able to e-mail them.

I've found some other great ideas for silica gel:
Keep a packet near a window sill, to help prevent condensation on the glass (the large window at the front of our house has terrible condensation problems).
Keep a packet in a tool box to help prevent rust on tools.
Keeping harvested seeds dry (I don't use seeds anymore, but perhaps someone else may).
Keeping a packet or two with holiday decorations when they are stored away.

Thank you, Dawn M.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 15 00:41 GMT (UK) »
One online site suggests:
Use a plastic box but do not have it air-tight.  Line the entire box with acid free card stock.  Place silica gel packs in the box, keeping the packs away from the documents.  Change the packs once or twice a year.

I think using "damp rid" in the house, with gel packs in the plastic boxes and a small dehumidifier in the room might work. Thank you both very much.   ;D

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I prefer polyester bags for storage of photos or documents and use 'Glad Cook In' Bags for this purpose ... see here;
http://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2012/06/21/seo
and used with Damp Rid and similar is about as good as you can currently get ... and economic too.
It makes good sense.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.