Author Topic: Mary Hannah Dean  (Read 2200 times)

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mary Hannah Dean
« on: Tuesday 03 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I started this thread on the Lancashire forum before I found the family in Stockton on Tees.

My big mystery is finding Mary Hannah Dean's baptism and where she is prior to her marriage.

She married Henry Morrison in Stockton 15 Aug 1877 and her father was James Dean, a Contractor.
I have the marriage certificate.

She was Henry's first wife and died 12 Aug 1879 aged 24 yrs and is buried in Oxbridge Cemetery, Stockton.

I had hoped to find her on the 1861/1871 censuses possibly with her parents.

Would love to trace her line back further.

poirot

poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Hannah Dean
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
What names witness at the marriage?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:20 GMT (UK) »
The witnesses are John & Isabella Hart.

I have not come across these names before.

Mary Hannah was a spinster aged 22 years and does not have an occupation.

Hope this helps.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 01:21 GMT (UK) »
The witnesses are John & Isabella Hart.

I have not come across these names before.

A John Hart married an Isabella Jeff in Stockton in 1861.  Reading through your previous post I believe the surname Jeff is already familiar to you, so possibly a connection there
I have sent for the marriage certs of Henry & Mary Hannah Dean and Henry's parents John Morrison & Eleanor Jeff

There is a Mary Hannah Dean born 9 Dec 1856 & baptised 25 Jan 1857 at Manchester Cathedral. Parents James Webster Dean a Mechanic & his wife Martha, of Salford

1861 census RG9/2921/60/22:

James Webster Dean 33 Manchester, Mechanic 
Martha Dean 28 Wife Salford Manchester
Mary Hannah Dean 4 Daur Salford, Manchester   
Emma Dean 1 Daur Salford Manchester

James Webster Dean died 17 Feb 1866.  Martha possibly died 1863 & Emma 1862, all Salford.

Added:  Doesn't look like this is her as there is a marriage for her in Manchester 5 Jul 1875 to a Joseph Allen & they are together in 1881.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the witness Isabella Hart and she was Eleanor Jeff's younger sister.

Have searched again for Mary Hannah Dean on the 1861/71 censuses in Durham & Yorkshire with a father James. Nothing!

Tried searching with a surname only and still no results.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Which church did they marry in?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate just says the Parish Church of Stockton on Tees.

I looked at their website and it doesn't seem to have a specific saints name.

If I sent for Mary Hannah's death certificate I don't suppose it would help.

Also looked at the Oxbridge Cemetery records online at the recorded gravestones and her name was not listed.

Can't understand why her birth is not on any of the subscription sites or on FreeBMD or familysearch.org.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
The Parish Church is St Thomas. 

Clutching at straws here, but as well as the usual parish registers Teesside Archives other records including Churchwardens' Accounts, vestry minutes and records relating to the poor, so there's maybe an outside possibility there could be some record of her there.

Stockton was an expanding steel & shipbuilding town at that time, and so many people were 'in-comers' - my maternal family came here from Wales around then & my paternal from Leicestershire & East Yorkshire, so Mary Hannah & her father could have come from anywhere.

Where was she living when she died?  The address may be an indication of how well they were doing financially.

If you contact Stockton Register Office they are usually very helpful and may be able to tell you more about her burial.  If she has a grave marker & you can obtain a plot reference I'd be happy to look for you.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I believe Mary Hannah was living in Tilery Terrace at the time of her death.

I will contact Oxbridge Cemetery tomorrow and see if they will look up the burial record for me.

Very kind of you to look for the plot for me if I can obtain the details.