Author Topic: Melia/Mealy Circa 1830 County Unknown  (Read 485 times)

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Melia/Mealy Circa 1830 County Unknown
« on: Tuesday 03 November 15 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching this dead end for quite some time.  I have my ggg grandmother Bridget Melia (also spelled Mealia or Mealy) who came to the U.S. circa 1850, was born in Ireland about 1830.  Her parents are listed on her marriage as Hugh and Nora O'Donnell.  I estimate their births to be between about 1800-1810.  Bridget married John Lambert in February 1853 in Boston. They lived in Hoosick Falls, NY, Halifax, VT and died in Springfield Mass.  Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Melia/Mealy Circa 1830 County Unknown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I had a look around the sites I use and found a Hugh Melia in the Griffiths Valution records in 1855 in Archill County Mayo. This was the only Hugh Melia listed.
The Registers books that were released in July/August this year are on line and this is where to look.
There is just early marriages, Births were later, this is the link you need to look at for the marriage of Hugh and Nora.
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000637417#page/5/mode/1up

this next link is where I found the record in Griffiths Valuation.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gf7/

The next place to look is in
www.rootsireland.ie
this will cost you, check the costs and you may be better joining for a month, pay to view can be expensive if you have a lot of records to find.
I am not saying that this is correct but it's the only Hugh.

Hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Melia/Mealy Circa 1830 County Unknown
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!  I remember seeing this Hugh a while back.  I will have a look for a possible marriage record.  Fingers crossed it's there!