Author Topic: Moore in Northern Ireland  (Read 830 times)

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore in Northern Ireland
« on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a bit backward, but I have dead-ended with Moore in the U.S. circa the mid 1700's. According to Y-DNA there are a cluster of exact 12 marker DNA matches in the Monaghan/Fermanagh/Louth area, which goes along with the family history that this Moore family is "Irish".  I was wondering if there are any good Moore sources or general histories for the family name in that area.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moore in Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Most families here will not be able to trace their ancestry back as far as mid-1700s. Have you tried making contact with the other DNA 'matches' to see what details they might have in their own families?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Very popular names in those areas!!

I've some back to mid 1700's when they left Ireland... and simply because some returned to marry in Ireland... and same with next generation who returned early 1800's to marry in Ireland, BUT if they hadn't returned they wouldn't be on the radar in Ireland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  I don't really expect to get much farther back per se.  I was just hoping to find any records/stories of Moore's in the area at the time if possible to keep the hope alive:)  Moore is really tough to research, they are in every county in the U.S., Ireland and England.  Since DNA points to this area I was hoping to poke around there a bit. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
There's plenty of earlier stuff, just depends on names/dates.... for me I haven't found bits for the ones I have!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  I don't really expect to get much farther back per se.  I was just hoping to find any records/stories of Moore's in the area at the time if possible to keep the hope alive:)  Moore is really tough to research, they are in every county in the U.S., Ireland and England.  Since DNA points to this area I was hoping to poke around there a bit. 

"Monaghan/Fermanagh/Louth area" is hardly a narrow enough area to start collecting details with such a common surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »

"Monaghan/Fermanagh/Louth area" is hardly a narrow enough area to start collecting details with such a common surname.

and that is the crunch.. getting the correct family!

Some Moore males when they married took wife's Surname.