Author Topic: Blunts of Petersfield - Robert Blunt of the Bank of England died 1773  (Read 3890 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunts of Petersfield - Robert Blunt of the Bank of England died 1773
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Further to the banking partnership, I tried to chase up the Clement angle without much success.

We know that Martha Blunt (daughter of our uncle William) married Thomas Clement gent of Steep (v near Petersfield) on 11 October 1753. Martha was buried on 21 March 1797 and the Petersfield PRs also show the burial of Henry Clement son of Thomas and Martha on 10 Feb 1804. Martha's brother Robert, the surgeon of Odiham, appoints his nephew Thomas Clement as one of his executors/trustees in his 1789 will, but doesn't say more about him, and I can't see him anywhere else for sure.

The partner in the banking business was Henry Clement, presumed to be connected with the family of Thomas Clement Alton attorney. On 29 June 1790 this Thomas married Jane White (whose brother Rev Edmund White married Ann Blunt, a minor). (Brother Edmund performed the ceremony.) He lived at 42 High St Alton, took apprentice attorneys, had lots of children including Henry b 1788 and Benjamin b 1785 (who is referred to in Jane Austen's letters and became an admiral) and left a will proved 19 April 1827, which doesn't help much. I can't see details of his birth or where he was articled. I suppose it is possible that he was the son of Thomas and Martha, born about 1754 and married at about 26. It might have made sense for uncle Robert to appoint an attorney as trustee/executor, but he doesn't refer to him as such. It is intriguing to wonder whether they were the same person, but I can't see any positive evidence to support this.

The links to Henry of the bank are even more tenuous. He is only presumed to have been connected to Thomas the attorney. Martha and Thomas's son Henry died too soon, and Thomas the attorney's son Henry would have been very young, 14 years younger than Henry Thomas Austen and only 24 when the Austen, Clement & Blunt partnership was dissolved in June 1813.

So all in all, nothing concrete to go on.

Alan