Author Topic: Cadzian name, Scotland  (Read 2553 times)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cadzian name, Scotland
« on: Friday 06 November 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my Edinburgh Cadzian ancestors back two centuries to the marriage record of a couple known as Symon Cadyen and Katherine McArthur 18 May 1771, Kilmadock, Perthshire. The name dates back to at least the 16th century in Perthshire and Stirlingshire.
The reason I am posting this information is that it has taken many years of research to uncover the family links from Perthshire to Edinburgh over a span of two centuries, and I have information to share with others researching this family.
The name Cadzian has evolved due to transcription and spelling errors in written records resulting in  weird (occasionally atrocious) variations of the Cadzian name or indeed, the beginning of "new" names, but the name Cadzian has basically endured over time. The "Z" is pronounced as "YE" (Scottish yoch)  as in the surname Menzies, and transcription clerks  unfamiliar with the accent of family  informants or the spelling of the Cadzian name, often did not accurately record the Cadzian name properly  - often  writing the name as they heard it.
This list of spelling variations of the Cadzian name refers to Cadzians from Perthshire, Clackmannanshire, Fife and Edinburgh, Midlothian:
CAYDZIEN
CAYDZIAN
CADZIEN
CADZIAN
CADZEAN
CADZEON
CADGZIN
CADZEN
CADGEN
CADGEAN
CADGIN
CADGIEN
CADGON
CUDGEAN
CADDEN
CADEEN
CADDER

If anyone is researching this family name, I will be happy to share information I have,
AncesStory
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cadzian name, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
At a time when many people couldn't read or write, who decides on the correct spelling of the name?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 15 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi A,

I might be alone on this one but I have never heard the name "Menzies" with the "z" as a "y"?

I have heard it pronounced as "Min"g"es/Min"g"ies/Min"g"us.

Many names have several variations but although it drives us nuts & a fortune, it's also fun too & an education of the past.

Maybe you can get an entry in the Guinness book for most variants of the surname  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I posted about the Cadzian name in Scotland to share what I have researched over many years. There is no "correct" spelling or pronunciation of this name.

Cadzian is the current version of the family name, but as I have previously posted, there are over 17 variations of this name in our family that have been documented since the 17th century, and I am happy to share with others researching the name.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
The John Menzies website has the following:

http://www.johnmenziesplc.com/Data/Sites/1/audio/menzies.wav

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, I don't have the name in my family but I'm sure those that do will be grateful for any help you can give them.

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi A,

I might be alone on this one but I have never heard the name "Menzies" with the "z" as a "y"?

I have heard it pronounced as "Min"g"es/Min"g"ies/Min"g"us.

Many names have several variations but although it drives us nuts & a fortune, it's also fun too & an education of the past.

Annie

Yes, Annie, Menzies, like Dalziel and McKenzie were originally spelled with the Scottish yogh or yoch (the funny looking z character)  - here's an informative link about the Scottish yogh character in names such as Menzies and Cadzian -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4595228.stm
AncesStory

Offline ianjstew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning,
Impressed with all your details about the Cadzian etc name.
My Grandmother's maiden name was Caydzien. Around 8 years ago, I traced her family back to a marriage in 1797. Her ancestors included cabinetmakers in Edinburgh and several  emigrations to New Zealand and Canada.
I have restarted research in to the other strands, hopefully to find distant relations and go further back. I am spending time to check  the various spellings and variations in transcription from written word to type.
Appears to be a lot of details on FindMyPast at the local library and the index on Scotland's People.

Any information would be great
Regards
Ian Stewart