Author Topic: Hunter family Shotts  (Read 2919 times)

Offline snazzyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunter family Shotts
« on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, has anyone come across a Mary Margaret Hunter born in Shotts with a daughter born in the 1920s called Margaret?  I'm short on information all the moment, that's all I have for now but i'm attempting to investigate further.  The family (including extended relatives) emigrated to New Zealand when the daughter Mary was about 3 years old.
Also any information on the Hunter clan in this area would be appreciated.  Please feel free to comment or message me.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter family Shotts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Also any information on the Hunter clan in this area would be appreciated.  Please feel free to comment or message me.

I don't think it is very likely that the Hunters in Shotts were adherents of a clan. Not everyone in Scotland is a member of a clan! The clans were basically a social feature of the largely Gaelic-speaking Highlands and Islands, and the average Lowlander in the heyday of the clans would have been astonished at the idea that (s)he had anything to do with any clan.

Unfortunately the Brigadoon industry has successfully peddled the idea that clans held sway over the whole of Scotland, and tied it up with nostalgic yearnings for a rose-tinted tartan-clad bagpipe-playing claymore-wielding society that never really existed as it is portrayed, and certainly not in Shotts!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Didn't want to read and run but ....

There's no Mary Margaret Hunter on the 1920 or 1930 census in Scotland - assuming she was here when she had her daughter she could be listed as just Mary Hunter but tbh there's soooo many of those it's not possible to list all options.

Just a thought, I read 'clan' as family - as a born and bred generations upon generations scot, it's a term I use a lot to talk about family.  I might say Katrinas clan were coming over, meaning her branch of the family....the term clan is very much in use today.
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Can you post names from the Shipping Arrival please
When/where did the arrive.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 08:08 GMT (UK) »
There's no Mary Margaret Hunter on the 1920 or 1930 census in Scotland

Jcjc123 , where did you access the 1920/1930(1921/1931 ?)Scottish Census  ???

KatrinaB , from your post , was the daughter Mary or Margaret ?
a daughter born in the 1920s called Margaret?
the daughter Mary was about 3 years old.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, I read 'clan' as family - as a born and bred generations upon generations scot, it's a term I use a lot to talk about family.  I might say Katrinas clan were coming over, meaning her branch of the family....the term clan is very much in use today.

Ah. It is clearly a term open to misinterpretation, then :)

Dictionary definitions

Clan: a tribe or collection of families subject to a single chieftain, commonly bearing the same surname, ansd supposed to have a common ancestor; a clique, sect; a collective name for a number of persons or things.

Family: parents and their children; the children alone; the descendants of one common progenitor.

I am a Scot born, bred and resident in Scotland, with 100% Scottish ancestry. I would never confuse the two terms, which to me are not synonymous and definitely not interchangeable :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »

Ah. It is clearly a term open to misinterpretation, then :)

Dictionary definitions

Clan: a tribe or collection of families subject to a single chieftain, commonly bearing the same surname, ansd supposed to have a common ancestor; a clique, sect; a collective name for a number of persons or things.

Family: parents and their children; the children alone; the descendants of one common progenitor.

I am a Scot born, bred and resident in Scotland, with 100% Scottish ancestry. I would never confuse the two terms, which to me are not synonymous and definitely not interchangeable :)

My definition is the same as yours only you seem to restrict it to historical families.
I would call you, your partner and kids, your clan. I'd say Johns clan wetter coming for dinner, rather than naming each of you individually. The word family or brood could also be used.

Perhaps it depends where in Scotland you are, I'm Glasgow.
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 09:33 GMT (UK) »
My definition is the same as yours only you seem to restrict it to historical families.
I would call you, your partner and kids, your clan. I'd say Johns clan wetter coming for dinner, rather than naming each of you individually. The word family or brood could also be used.

No, I would never use it in that way.

Perhaps it depends where in Scotland you are, I'm Glasgow.

Could be. I'm an East Coast Lowlander, though my grandfather was from Airdrie and all his forebears were from various bits of Lanarkshire (including Shotts, where I can trace them back to the 16th century) and adjacent Stirlingshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, has anyone come across a Mary Margaret Hunter born in Shotts?

Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk indexes births of 35 people named Mary Margaret Hunter. 12 of these are in Lanarkshire, and none in Shotts.

2 were registered 1855-1869, neither of whom was in Lanarkshire
4 were registered in the 1870s, one of whom was in Lanarkshire
3 were registered in the 1880s, none in Lanarkshire
1 was registered in the 1890s, not in Lanarkshire
5 were registered between 1900 and 1909 (can't say 1900s, which would be open to misinterpretation!), two of whom were in Lanarkshire
6 were registered between 1910 and 1919 (I could have said 1910s, but somehow that doesn't sound right :) ), none of whom were in Lanarkshire.

There is always the possibility that her birth was registered as plain Mary Hunter, and that she acquired the middle name after that.

In what year did she emigrate? Did she arrive in New Zealand as Mary Margaret Hunter? Have you found a marriage/death/probate for her in New Zealand? Do you know roughly when she was born? And why do you think she came from Shotts?

You say Mary was about 3 years old when she arrived in NZ in the 1920s. If she arrived aged 3 early in 1920, she would have been born in 1916/7. If she arrived in late 1929 aged 3, she would have been born 1925/6. The index lists just two Mary Hunters born in Shotts between 1915 and 1928, so it would not be hard to check both of those to see if one of them was a daughter of Mary Margaret Hunter. If you can be more precise about when they arrived in NZ you should be able to narrow it down still further.

Unfortunately you cannot view either of these certificates online as they are less than 100 years old. You either need to order a copy/copies, or get someone who is going to a Scotland's People Centre to look it/them up and transcribe it/them for you.