Author Topic: Jessie Norton b. 1865 in Deles Lane, Rochester, England  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Jessie Norton b. 1865 in Deles Lane, Rochester, England
« on: Sunday 15 November 15 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, did not know where to put this, so asking here.  Jessie came to Canada & married my Great Uncle Will Smith & in 1910 they had a son called "MORDOUNT" E.F. Smith who only lived 2 months & 15 days.  What does the Mordount mean - is it an actual name or is it designating that he is dead?  Originally thought his name was Morton, but just got his death.  Believe my Uncle married this woman in 1906.  Cannot find this child's birth certificate - know it should be there but can't find it.  His death certificate shows this name.  Actually this childs name is Emory Frances or Mordount Emory Frances Smith.  Anyone??
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Norton b. 1865 in Deles Lane, Rochester, England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 15 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Rochester is in Kent, not Bedfordshire, as you know. 

However if the marriage and subsequent birth you are researching happened in Canada, you can hit 'Report to Moderator' and ask for this thread to be moved to the Canada board.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »

However if the marriage and subsequent birth you are researching happened in Canada, you can hit 'Report to Moderator' and ask for this thread to be moved to the Canada board.

Carol

Thank you very much.  Have found out the answer now.   He was born with that name in Canada.  For your information am not that adept with this machine & my thought was to ask in KENT to see if they knew anything about the name as that is where the woman came from. Had googled Mordaunt  but it but the answer didn't really help.  Yes, after I sent you the message, actually googled  Deles Lane, Rochester, &  came up with Kent but did not know that when the message was sent.  Not a good excuse but still not adept at googling.  Forgive my lapse.  Sorry for any problems I caused.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Lauraine we call it a senior moment in our house and most of my friends have them as well. :D

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Chuckling at this end.  Thank you so much as felt I had cheated or some such thing but really had not.  After the message was sent thought of googling.  Appreciate your seeing the humour in it

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »

Carol

Thank you very much.  Have found out the answer now.   He was born with that name in Canada.  For your information am not that adept with this machine & my thought was to ask in KENT to see if they knew anything about the name as that is where the woman came from. Had googled Mordaunt  but it but the answer didn't really help.  Yes, after I sent you the message, actually googled  Deles Lane, Rochester, &  came up with Kent but did not know that when the message was sent.  Not a good excuse but still not adept at googling.  Forgive my lapse.  Sorry for any problems I caused.

Lauraine, you haven't caused any problems and I don't know what you mean by 'cheating'.  It's just that you've posted this on the Bedfordshire board and (by English standards!) that's a long way from Kent.  Before posting, I googled 'Deles Lane Rochester' and the first result was your other enquiry about Jessie - on the Kent board - so I naturally assumed you knew it was in Kent.  Here's the link:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=729708

Then I thought the Canada board would be more appropriate, so explained how to get this moved to there.  Evidently I didn't make myself clear, but no offence was intended.  And I'm sorry for not replying earlier as my internet access is very unpredictable - it has even more 'senior moments' than I do :)

Wishing you the best possible luck with your research,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 04:14 GMT (UK) »
No offence was taken.  Am sorry that I wrote & asked as was somewhat tired when doing so.  If I had waited until the morning might have thought about the old post.  Of course may not have.  One thing when being a senior, you can always blame everything you do wrong on your age.  It works most of the time for me :D.  Am still wondering about the name being given as Mordaunt - from my limited French, it seems to mean death.  However, there are a very few people with the name in England.  Maybe Jessie Norton was related to one of them.  As the only person living in the family, my Aunt doesn't know, guess we will never find out.  Thank you for taking the time.  Good luck with your research too.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauraine,

If you go to this Site below;
Click on search (another page will load) Just type in Mordaunt in First Name, Click on Births, and then Find, you will see it is n uncommon 1st name but there are at least 100-120 of them. ;
http://www.freebmd.org.uk

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  Not sure if they all died at birth or shortly thereafter, but will try to figure it out .  Can see a couple did.  Not sure why, but have the feeling the name has a special meaning, but of course could be wrong. ;D