Author Topic: Acomb/Acham  (Read 518 times)

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
Acomb/Acham
« on: Sunday 15 November 15 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors (Bywell St Peter) who in late 1600s and early 1700s are recorded at Accomb which I assume is Acomb today, but from 1709-1717 are recorded at Acham.  Beginning in 1730s onward they are back in Accomb.  I cannot find any information on Acham.  Does anyone know if this is another name for Acomb or any other information about Acham?
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Acomb/Acham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I think its just an earlier spelling variation of Acomb. If you look at the maps on

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Acomb_C15.htm

on the 1610 map it looks like Acam, and on the 1769 map it has become Aycomb and then by the 1820 map it is Acomb
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline fruitlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Learning about ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Acomb/Acham
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link.  Your link is actually to the Acomb near Hexham sometimes called West Acomb to differentiate from Bywell Acomb near Bearl.  I did find it on the 1820 map for Ovingham by which time it is "Acomb" so will just have to assume it went through the same spelling changes as the other.
Sue
Researching Lee, Swindle, Davison, Turner, Fawcett, Stephenson, Stobart families mainly in Northumberland and some Durham.