Author Topic: searching for Mary Ann Bartrum & Benjamin Bartram Northumberland  (Read 4981 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for Mary Ann Bartrum & Benjamin Bartram Northumberland
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
on census records of Mary Ann Ewart-Bartrum
1851--Where born   Northd, Miffield
1861==Where born   Kirknewton, Northumberland, England
1871--Where born   Mirfield, Northumberland, England
1881--Where born   Millfield, Northumberland, England

OK I see. Unfortunately census records are not always a reliable source, especially if the child moves when young.

I have looked at the transcripts for Kirknewton online and she is not in there. The transcripts for Berwick are not online that I can see but i would still favour that as the birth place as its on the familysearch extracted records. The good news is that there seems to be several siblings of Mary baptised in Berwick too so if her record (when found) is not a Dade record it is still possible that one of her siblings records might be

In respect of Milfield this is in Wooler parish. There is also a place called Ewart in Wooler parish, two miles from Milfield. Could Ewart the place be where Ewart the name came from ? I have looked at the transcripts for Wooler and I do not see any Ewart baptisms at Milfield which I think is further pushing for Berwick to be the actual baptism place
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have been digging around and have established the following

1. Mary Ann Ewart 1804 Berwick is not your Mary Ann
2. Your real Mary Ann does not have a father Robert
3. I have found your Mary Ann and her parents
4. I have found the baptism of 3
5. I have proof why 1. is not your Mary Ann
6. Your Mary Ann does come from Milfield / Kirknewton

I will post it tomorrow as it is too late now and I am tired, hope that is ok
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
that is wonderful! thanks so much for finding that, you are an angel.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 14:36 GMT (UK) »
1.   Starting off we have the baptism of Mary Ann Ewart as 15 July 1804 at Berwick daughter of Robert and Mary. Her birth is given as 08 July 1804. Looking for the other children of this couple gives us:

Barbara Ewart baptised 23 August 1795
Mary Ewart born 21 May 1799, baptised 2 June 1799 (assumed died early)
Robert Ewart born 1 May 1802, baptised 9 May 1802 (burial 29 January 1804)
John Ewart born 31 October 1806, baptised 6 November 1806
Eleanor born 12 May 1808, baptised 26 March 1809
Eliza born 18 March 1812, baptised 29 March 1812

In addition there is a baptism of a Marianne on 15 July 1804 which I believe is the Mary Ann above with the alternative spelling (you would have to look at the original to confirm this).

Having found the children I then looked for the wills of Robert and Mary which can be viewed at

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6QZ7-J68  (Robert)

In his will Robert names his surviving children as
Mary Ann wife of James Kelly (On the 1851 census she is living with her mother Mary and James is referred to as a mariner)
Eleanor wife of Edward Davidson
Eliza wife of Andrew Newton Steel
Barbara wife of Mr Taylor (forename not given)
John Ewart

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68Z9-V4 (Mary)

Mary confirms her children as
Mary Ann Kelly
Eleanor Davidson
Eliza Steel
John Ewart

Barbara Taylor is missing but her daughter Mary Ann Taylor is included so assume Barbara has died.

So having found the wills and being able to establish what happened to Mary Ann we can conclude that Mary Ann Ewart did not marry Benjamin Bartrum

2.   As 1. Above explains Robert Ewart is not your Mary Ann’s father

3.   Turning to your Mary Ann’s parents. They are as follows

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGS1-XZB

Name   Mary Anne Wilson Or Ewart
Gender   Female
Christening Date   24 Jul 1807
Christening Place   KIRKNEWTON,NORTHUMBERLAND,ENGLAND
Birth Date   20 Jun 1807
Father's Name   John Wilson
Mother's Name   Jane Ewart

Now we see that Mary Ann has two surnames Wilson or Ewart which would tend to indicate her parents were not married. So looking for the actual record gives

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gk7/

which says: Mary Ann Wilson, illegitimate daughter of John Wilson, weaver, native of Alnwick in this County by Jane Ewart native of Milfield in this Parish born June 20 (1807) baptised July 24 (1807).

So we have established what happened to the Mary Ann Ewart 1804 Berwick and she is not yours. We have found the records for the new Mary Ann Wilson/Ewart who is yours and fits in with all the censuses.

4. I have not found the marriage of Mary Ann and Benjamin Bartrum but that could be because it is in records that are not online anywhere

The information for all the baptism dates etc came from familysearch. The location of the wills came from http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php and the actual copies actually being on familysearch as was the transcript for Mary Ann Wilson/Ewart’s baptism

Hope that helps

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow! that is an insane amount of information, and i owe u at the minimum dinner! it is going to take me several readings to figure it all out though, lol. thanks so much for this, i could never have gotten this straightened out.