Author Topic: searching for Mary Ann Bartrum & Benjamin Bartram Northumberland  (Read 4975 times)

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for Mary Ann Bartrum & Benjamin Bartram Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
This stuff is doing my head in! lol, but since I grew up in the States I am learning English geography. Thanks all, just waiting on the birth certificate now, hopefully it is the right one.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 15:28 GMT (UK) »

If you have any clues as to how I would go about finding her fathers birth record from 1805, I would be extremely grateful.

You already have Benjamin's birth - 12 th October 1805 - as in your first post.  Family search have this record as part of his baptism record at Warenford Presbyterian church.  Knowing Presbyterian records I feel sure there should be more to it than that so I will have a look tomorrow - see if I can determine his mother.

According to 1851 census he was born in Henhill - a little place in the parish of Bamburgh.

Christine

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks it is odd that the mother's name wasn't on the baptism record. Appreciate everyone's help.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that the mother's name should be on the baptism record which is why I'm going to look at a microfilm of the original tomorrow.

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 00:00 GMT (UK) »
ty c-side! that is wonderful of you!

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, that was disappointing   I have never seen such scant and untidy Presbyterian records

Basically the only additional bit of information which is missing from the family search transcription is the abode of Henhill which we already knew from the 1851 census.  What is even more odd is that the date given is birth date – none given for date of baptism.

I decided to see whether father James appeared in earlier records but from 1805 back to 1764 there was only one Bartram (spellings very) and he was Thomas son of John in 1791.

Then I went forward from 1805 – the Minister changed in 1815 and records become full details and easy to read.  I found – Barbary 2nd daughter and child of Thomas Bertram, Hind at Linkhall Parish of Ellingham baptised 5th Feb. 1821 – mother given as Margaret Percy.

Now I know that Thomas isn’t connected to you (yet!) but I started to wonder where his first daughter had been baptised – perhaps she was with a bunch of other Bartrams.

I started with North Sunderland (Bamburgh parish) but the name doesn’t appear there until the 1830s.  Then I went to Belford and found the first daughter of Thomas baptised in 1819 and also two sons, 3rd and 4th children baptised 1823 and 1825.  His first son was called John.  He was living in three different parishes when these three children were born but all were baptised at Belford Presbyterian.  His wife’s name is actually Mary Percy, not Margaret as stated in Warenford.

Now, having rambled on, there is an interesting bit.  A little earlier in the records I found three sons being baptised to James Bartram and his wife Margaret – John in 1797, James in 1799 and Robert in 1801.  This may not be your James – there’s more work to be done to prove that – but I suspect that he is possibly Thomas’ older brother.  Both first born sons were called John and, if this is the Thomas baptised in Warenford in 1791, then his father was John.

A lot of conjecture here but I think at this stage they should be noted as possible leads and a bit more investigation done.

Christine

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks Christine, now you know why I was lost on this.  I appreciate all of the time you have spent trying to find this information out.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 November 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I won't be at the archives this coming week but next week I will see if there are any occurances of the name in other Presbyterian records.

Offline MONGERSMOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 November 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I want to thank you all for helping me find my great grandmother Mary Ann Bartrum. I have her birth certificate from june 4, 1830, parents Benjamin Bartrum (looks like Bartrim on record) and mother Mary Ewart.  Mary was born in Berwick upon Tweed, in Ord Moor?? Still looking to find his birth record.  Once again, thank you so very much, I couldn't have done this without you!