Author Topic: Andrew Mulholland - Lanark and Renfrew Scotland  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Mulholland - Lanark and Renfrew Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again jonn and millmoor.

I downloaded their death registrations from SP. Andrew's mother's surname looks like a phonetic attempt at either Rainey, Rennie, Wren or something I may never figure out. 

So here's a question regarding the questions on a census.  Do they ask "Where were you born?" or 'Where do you come from?" This reference to Ireland is bothering me as I have yet to find any documentation that sets out that someone was actually born in Ireland. 

Family lore sets out that we came from Ireland.  My documentation so far says back to 1840 for the Mulhollands they were all born in Scotland and the Baillies go back to 1577 in Aberdeenshire.  A 2nd great grandmother came from Newcastle but on that side, all from Bonhill, Blantyre, Glasgow, Kilsyth and no Ireland.  No one in the past three generations has been able to identify where in Ireland the family originates.  The only time I see Ireland on any document is the census. 

I think I might have a case of a family that once had roots in Ireland but has spent decades/century(ies) living in Scotland but still consider themselves Irish.

Scotland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA
Anderson, Baillie, Beecroft, Duff, Godfrey, Lamond, Lang, Leitch, Millar, Mulholland, Ure, Weir and 220 other cool names.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Em

While I have not researched Irish records from what I have read researching there can be "problematic" as a lot of records have been destroyed. To answer your question the census column does say "where born". I, therefore, have to say that, while you have not found any records for Andrew and Marjory in Ireland as yet, it is a big leap to say that they were not born there.
All I can suggest is that it might be worth reading up on researching in Ireland eg books from the library, Irish resource links on this site, other online sites like GENUKI. There is a blog called British Genes which I frequently read where the writer, Chris Paton, has a particular interest in Irish genealogy and may give ideas as to what is available.
A couple of public trees  on ancestry have the births of Andrew and Marjory in co Londonderry in N Ireland. Might it be worth contacting the tree owners to see if they have any sources for this?

Good luck with your search.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Millmoor.  I agree it would be a huge leap to say they didn't come from Ireland but having trekked through some of the family lore so far, not a lot of it has been able to be proven.  It's just that it wouldn't surprise me that the Ireland connection was something speculated way back when and found it's way into the fact side of the family history. 

I have learned not to entirely trust the information on a census.  Far too many variables are in the mix.  It was not the job of the enumerator to verify information and depending on who was being asked for that information depended on what was given.  For example, the owner of a boarding house could be answering all the enumerator's questions and may not have exact birth place information but assumed all his boarders were from the same area.  Nor is age always correct as some people fudged their ages to hide an illegitimate child, an enormous age difference between spouses etc. 

So what have I learned in the last 24 hours about Irish immigration to Scotland... that in all likelihood if they arrived in Scotland that they hailed from Ulster.  Easier transportation and jobs in the time period were plentiful in Scotland. 

The main route patterns for Irish immigration to Britain were:

Emigrants from Ulster settled in Scotland
Emigrants from Connacht and the central strip of Ireland travelled via Dublin to Liverpool
Emigrants from Munster and other southerly or western areas of Ireland sailed to South Wales, London or the English south coast.

That to find a relative in Ireland one needs to know their Province, county, parish and townland.  The 1841 Scottish census only asked where born, subsequent census asked more detailed questions of birth places. 

Protestant Irish faired better in Scotland Catholic Irish.  That many Irish in Scotland ran lodging homes. 

Records in Ireland are extremely patchy.  Entire census records were destroyed to make room for newer ones. 

There are no passenger lists from Ireland to Scotland, England or Wales. 

Lots more to read about.  :)
Anderson, Baillie, Beecroft, Duff, Godfrey, Lamond, Lang, Leitch, Millar, Mulholland, Ure, Weir and 220 other cool names.

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 November 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I came across a brother of Andrew Mulholland - William. I have located his death registry and his mother's maiden name appears to be MUNRO.  Oddly, the same person who took Andrew's death information was the same person for William - 17 years later. 

On William's death record it has his father as John Mulholland - Chelsea Pensioner.  There are only two John Mulhollands listed as Chelsea Pensioners and one was serving with a Welsh regt and one served with the Highland Light Infantry 71st and 74th Foot.  The record indicates he was from DerryLoran, Tyrone, Ulster. 

I think I may be getting closer.  William's age on the death record puts him being born around 1809 while Andrew's record of 1860 puts him at about 1820 - age 40.  Andrew's record has father as a farmer.  That puts John at about 1784/1785 assuming he was about 25 in 1809. 

Sadly, the records for Derryloran don't start until 1797.  I have to comb through the baptisms and hope I can find a record of either William or his siblings from the dates they started recording. 

Thanks for the help. (if anyone has access to the UK mil records I would love a lookup of the two John Mulhollands. )

Offline jrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 November 15 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Em2
My grandfather was Sarah McNeil Lamonds brother john lamond
They lived at cemetery road high Blantyre  I'm not sure if I would have any further
Information you might need or want but I'm happy to pass on what I have to you

All the best
                    Jrt
lanarkshire, Lamond beecroft. Ross, McNeil, laird Lang ,,Scot ,McKay,reddiex struthers,Douglas Mullen turvey dunbartonshire johnston gunn Wilson nelson mcteer McCartney

Offline Em2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 November 15 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello JRT,

Delighted to meet you.  I've sent you a PM.  I'd love to exchange info on our family. 

Cheers,
Em