Author Topic: Birth & Parents: trying to find an Elizabeth Margaret Hall and her parents  (Read 1447 times)

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth & Parents: trying to find an Elizabeth Margaret Hall and her parents
« on: Tuesday 17 November 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I'm really well and truly stuck.  Help would be very much appreciated.

I am trying to find an Elizabeth Margaret Hall and her parents.  Only interested in her birth and prior.

* According to the 1939 register she was born Sep 1910.  Don't know where but I would like to obtain Elizabeth's birth certificate.

* According to her May 1937 marriage certificate (Knaresborough) her father was called Albert Hall and he was a railway signalman ('Deceased' on Elizabeth's marriage cert).

* I don't know her mother's name.

I have already obtained 3 birth certificates which can be discounted, as follows:

Elizabeth M Hall, born May 1910, mother Bownas?, Birkenhead
Elizabeth M Hall, born Aug 1911, mother McCabe, Woolwich
Margaret E Hall, born Nov 1912, mother Lawson, Pontefract

I'd like to try and find some more concrete evidence before going for another birth certificate as the cost for this lady is adding up.

I've even considered the possibility that Elizabeth might have been adopted, in which case I'm probably up the swanny without a paddle as they say.

Anyway, many thanks for reading.

kugate

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth & Parents: Hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
How many possibles for her are there on the 1911 census, assuming the dob on the 1939 is correct?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawnsh,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have to say I used to have 1911 access but currently no longer have.  I am revisiting this lady after a break.

I initially thought that Elizabeth was born Sep 1911, word of mouth, but since seeing the 1939 register (which as you indicate may or may not be correct) I have had second thoughts.

2 Other possibilities I'm considering (from freebmd births) are as follows:

* Elizabeth M Hall, born Jun(Q) 1910, Bolton, 8c 483
* Elizabeth M Hall, born Dec(Q) 1910, St Olave, 1d 164

I'm wondering if anyone can find any reason why I should or shouldn't consider the above.

I'm trying to avoid re-registering with Ancestry at the moment due to costs (WOW !! membership has increased a lot) but I fear I may have to at some point.

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 09:49 GMT (UK) »
With reference to my first post, if anyone is interested in information from the birth certificates I have already obtained please shout!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
You can always put the details here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/unwanted-certificates/

ADDED: Suggest you may want to discard the Bolton birth - if 'your' Elizabeth's father's details on 1937 marriage certificate are correct [though one must always have suspicions about these if the bride/groom is illegitimate] - this Bolton father's occupation is wrong as he's a cotton mill worker.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Another thought - she may have been registered under another surname at birth, then adopted the name Hall if her mother married after the birth [as a 1st or 2nd marriage].

ANOTHER ANOTHER THOUGHT: Try finding an Albert Hall railway worker in the 1901.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi josey,

Many thanks for the link.

I'm always suspicious,  especially when 'word of mouth is involved' ;-) but thank you very much for the info,  I'll give the Bolton birth a lower priority.

Being registered under another surname at birth is a worry to me.  I'm hoping she isn't but I guess, given my luck so far, that is a posibility.

Offline kugate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi josey,

I did search for Albert Hall Railway worker a few years ago now but without success.  You just can't believe, or maybe you can actually, how popular the name Albert Hall was.

I think I'm going to have to register with Ancestry again .... arrrh money money money .... must be funny, etc, etc, etc .... ;)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth & Parents: trying to find an Elizabeth Margaret Hall and her parents
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
The Bolton birth was ELIZABETH Mea HALL, in 1911 her father was Clement Albert Hall.

ELIZABETH M A Hall born St. Olave Southwark probably died in 1911

The only one I cannot find later is.

First name(s)   MARGARET ELIZABETH
Last name   HALL
Birth Q2/1910   Volume3A Page221
District   BRENTFORD
County   Middlesex

There were two Albert Hall Railway Porters on the 1911 census, one in Lincoln the other in
Burton upon Trent. Neither seems appropriate.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.