Author Topic: 1939 - what have you found?  (Read 26516 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 - what have you found?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of Rolf Creasy, MD, who was born in 1863 but I could not find any birthday/baptism for him born in Colombo. Ceylon. In some publications he was in fact mentioned as "son of" (as they did in those days)  but no Rolf name.  Plus I got his 2nd wife Elizabeth Alice Welch, born
Mere, Wiltshire, 1873. Their servant was included too which did not do me much good. 

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 November 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
It may be a good idea to buy the certs as a backup if the DOB's listed on the 1939 register have DOBs which are a few days/months out, we know many will be a year or so out.

One 3xgreat gran was born in 1852, seems her birth was not registered and she died in 1932, so 7 years before a register which would have recorded her DOB.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 November 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
The oldest person in my family still alive in 1939 is Sarah Biggs, born 1841. She was living alone in 1939! She died just a few months later, aged 98.

I've not found any major revelations from the 1939 register, as yet. I'll have to wait until the end of 2016 to find out more about my grandfather's mysterious first wife (born in 1916, so still redacted).

Mostly, the 1939 register has removed quite a few "question marks" from my tree, and I've confirmed quite a few deaths and marriages using it. I've barely started... lots more to be found!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 November 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Mysteries: 1) My parents and grandmother were recorded in Cambridge not Boston, and at separate addresses. 2) I am quite unable to find my father's sister and her family in the London area, married name James and Lucy Smeaton; she was usually known by her second name Ida. She was b 1895 in Boston. Suggestions welcomed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 November 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I found my Uncle Jack's wife's maiden name. For some reason I thought she was French, don't know why. She was from Plymouth?? I still can't find their marriage, I wonder if they met & married in France, perhaps thats where it came from  :)
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 November 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
For my direct line

3 x already-knew-thats
2 x confirmation of being still alive and so could better pinpoint their deaths
1 x first piece of corroborating evidence of an adopted child

Happy with that
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 November 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Mysteries: 1) My parents and grandmother were recorded in Cambridge not Boston, and at separate addresses. 2) I am quite unable to find my father's sister and her family in the London area, married name James and Lucy Smeaton; she was usually known by her second name Ida. She was b 1895 in Boston. Suggestions welcomed.

I see she is Lucy I K when she married.  There is this one though no sign of James with her
Lucy I K   Sheaton   1897   Paignton U.D.   Devon
She is with an Emily Tampin who I believe may be Emily Oliver who married Francis E Tampin in West Ham reg district in 1925. He is possibly in Walthamstow or Leyton on his own.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 November 15 15:31 GMT (UK) »

More questions than answers ::

Why was gr aunt listed with both maiden and married name, couple only married 1949, where is gr uncle is he one of the 2 redacted folk on the page ???

Diffferent birth year by 9 years, do I have the wrong gr aunt on my tree  ??? What is the chance of two couples with the same names marrying because that would be the only simple explanation :-\

Oh well back to sleuthing......
Rest of the family where I expected them to be so didn't need the records, could see from the preview  ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 November 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Why was gr aunt listed with both maiden and married name, couple only married 1949, where is gr uncle is he one of the 2 redacted folk on the page ???

The register was updated over time so married names were added later. Sorry, no juicy mystery ;)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!