Author Topic: Source Citation Help Please - 1939 Register  (Read 7381 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Source Citation Help Please - 1939 Register
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:12 GMT (UK) »
My tree isn't public.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »
First, I'm not a lawyer so this is just an uneducated theory

Because your tree is private, I don't think you have published anything. However, because Ancestry's T&Cs say that anything you upload, they have a right to use, perhaps you've given them a right that was not yours to give

Discuss (or not)

It is not only a clear breach of The National Archives & FindMyPast copyright it is also in breach of Ancestry's terms and Conditions.

Ancestry's T&Cs state-
"The decision to upload User Provided Content onto the Websites is your responsibility and you should only submit or share User Provided Content that belongs to you (or where you have obtained all necessary permissions or consents) and that will not violate the rights of others. Be aware that copyright and other intellectual property rights will normally vest in the creator of the material in question and you should not reproduce or submit anything without permission of the owner. By submitting User Provided Content to the Websites, you represent that you have the right to do so, and that you have obtained any third party consents where required (e.g., under data protection or intellectual property laws). Upon our request you agree to furnish Ancestry with any documentation, substantiation and releases necessary and reasonably required to verify and substantiate your compliance with this provision."

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes but how do I show the source for the 1939 reg. please?

The source is the referencing of 1939 Register which others would have to seek out themselves as you are only giving them the proof of where you found the proof so it's up to others who want to verify it to pay to see it too.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes but how do I show the source for the 1939 reg. please?

The source is the referencing of 1939 Register which others would have to seek out themselves as you are only giving them the proof of where you found the proof so it's up to others who want to verify it to pay to see it too.

Annie

Yes I realised that - thanks Annie. I just wanted to know what information to record for the citation. But I've got my answer thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:44 GMT (UK) »

May I ask if you have contacted the copyright owner of the digitised images and ask for their permission to upload the image to another commercial website ....   

May I suggest

:) that you do not complete that Ancestry form

:) that you consider adding your own transcription of the words that you read to your online tree. 

:)  that you refer to your own transcription as "My transcription of a digitised record for (the address) from the 1939 National Register"  (or similar words).

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »

May I ask if you have contacted the copyright owner of the digitised images and ask for their permission to upload the image to another commercial website ....   

May I suggest

:) that you do not complete that Ancestry form

:) that you consider adding your own transcription of the words that you read to your online tree. 

:)  that you refer to your own transcription as "My transcription of a digitised record for (the address) from the 1939 National Register"  (or similar words).

Cheers,  JM

The form isn't anything to do with the image. I don't need the image. The form is just to record the source citation for the the Fact I have saved to my ancestry tree online... the residence information for 1939.

My question has already been answered, thanks. I think people are getting confused by looking at other replies.  :)

I already closed the topic.  Thank you everyone.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 November 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »

The form isn't anything to do with the image. I don't need the image. The form is just to record the source citation for the the Fact I have saved to my ancestry tree online... the residence information for 1939.

My question has already been answered, thanks. I think people are getting confused by looking at other replies.  :)

I already closed the topic.  Thank you everyone.

Sorry,  I did not realise you had closed the topic. 

I was not confusing the Ancestry form with the digitised image you have downloaded from Find My Past.    I realised you don't need to retain the FindMyPast image on your Ancestry Tree.   I am quite sure that you do not need to complete the Ancestry form when adding any information to your Ancestry online tree.

I am quite sure that you are not infringing the copyright of any organisation when you make your own transcription.  Afterall, your own words are yours alone, and so the initial copyright owner of your own words is yourself.   

You can of course determine how you wish to exercise your copyright, just as the commercial websites choose to exercise their own copyright.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.