Author Topic: Waters Family Line  (Read 1967 times)

Offline EILATANSW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waters Family Line
« on: Saturday 21 November 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi - this is a long shot but I thought it may be worth a try.

I'm looking for anyone that may be connected to my waters line in any way - or that may have any information to help.

My grandfather Thomas John Waters was born in 1937. 
His parents were Selwyn Waters (1911-1968) and Amy Hill (1913-1993)

Selwyn's parents were John Waters(1888) and Carrie Owen (1890)
(or Caroline-changes through census records)

Information that I have already gathered is that Selwyn was born in Neath.  He had siblings : Glenys Waters, Thomas G Waters, Blodwen Waters, Vernon (L) Waters - there may be more, I don't know.

I also know there is some connection with Thomas Chapel, Begelly, Narberth, Pembrokeshire, Wales
as Rachel Waters (aunt of John Waters - Selwyns father) married Thomas James.

Something else I have found is an address in Blaengwynfi.. Beatrice Terrace.

If anyone has information would be great!
Thanks.

Offline Lynne Costa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Waters Family Line
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I’ve just discovered rootschat and was amazed to find you are looking for information regarding the Waters line.
My father was Thomas George Waters and you have listed his siblings, Selwyn, Blodwyn, Vernon and Glenys. He was born in Abergwynfi and the names Jersey Road and  Villiers Road bring back memories as a child. My grandmother was Caroline, (Carrie) and my grandfather was John Waters , who I believe was brought up in a children’s home in Carmarthen. My understanding is that he left to go to America when my father, Thomas, was very young and to my knowledge was never heard from again. There was talk in the family that he had something to do with early movies in California but that was never confirmed. Consequently, my grandmother was left to bring up five children by herself and , I believe, they hard quite a hard time.
My father’s cousin was Thomas (Tommy) Farr, the heavyweight boxer who fought Joe Louis in 1937. His mother and my grandmother were sisters.
My Uncle Sel lived on Gelli Terrace in Blaengwnfi / Abergwynfi with my Aunty Amy. Uncle Sel worked down the pit and suffered in later life with pneumoconiosis as a result.
Uncle Sel and Aunty Amy had two children, John and Gillian. John went on to play rugby for Wales youth and received a cap. Gillian married a Scot and went to live in Scotland.

I could continue with details of the rest of the family but would love to hear that this information is what you were looking for.

Look forward to hearing from you

Lynne Costa

Offline Lynne Costa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Waters Family Line
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
I’ve stupidly forgotten Uncle Sel’s other daughter,  Pat. We exchange Christmas cards every year and she lives in Cardiff.
I know you wrote this 7 years ago but I would love to be able to tell you more about our family.
It’s a long shot to expect a response after all these years but I do hope so.
Best wishes

Lynne Costa (nee Waters)