Author Topic: Marriage Certifcates: PP vs. CC, meaning?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Certifcates: PP vs. CC, meaning?
« on: Monday 23 November 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen too many Irish marriage certificates, so I was hoping to get someone else's opinion about one aspect of them: What is the difference between CC and PP?

To explain a bit more:

One old marriage in my family, was, according to an old newspaper announcement, performed by the brother of the bride, a Catholic priest.  This announcement was published two days after the ceremony.  The name of the person who wrote out the certificate (marriage.... by me) is not the brother's name, but another man's, I suppose another priest, followed by the letters PP. Does this mean he was probably just filling out the paperwork, so to speak?  And the brother probably did perform the ceremony?

The only other certificate, I've seen has the letters CC following a name.  This one also has an announcement, but no relative is mentioned as performing the ceremony.  Does anyone know what the letters stand for?

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certifcates: PP vs. CC, meaning?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Parish Priest (PP) in charge of the parish, and Catholic Curate (CC)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see.  Thanks for explaining it.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The Parish Priest of the parish is officially the registrar and therefore as a rule filled out, and still does in Ireland, the paperwork.

I have photographs of ancestors that show the priest who married them with them, or written descriptions stating married by ....(naming priest who are family friends or relatives) however the certificates are completed by the parish priest which led me to ask this question also!

Seemingly a parish priest must give permission for a visiting priest to marry a couple or the couple to marry outside the parish
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you very much for explaining it.

I had wondered a bit, if they were just bragging, but now I see that is probably not so!