Author Topic: FILER family of Sudbury - query about JOHN  (Read 489 times)

Offline JadePlant

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FILER family of Sudbury - query about JOHN
« on: Sunday 29 November 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for raising this family again - I have just joined and noticed some old posts (5-6 years) about the Filers of Sudbury. I am searching for John, whose daughter Susannah was born in 1818. Her birth record gives her parents as John (a weaver) and Ann, living in Bethnal Green. I have nothing yet to tie them to the Sudbury Filers except possibly the trade, and a record of a possible sister being buried in a non-conformist cemetery in Bethnal Green. Susannah was my great great grandmother and I have only recently started exploring this branch. Thank you for any help in advance.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FILER family of Sudbury - query about JOHN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
Don't know if any of this has any relevance but they refer to John and Susannah Filers from Colchester. Just in case they are related:-
I have found a reference to the death of a Susannah Filer 5th Apr 1832 in The Essex Standard Saturday April 7 1832.  “5th inst after an illness of more than 30 years, Susannah Filer, widow of the late John Filer, confectioner, of this town (Colchester) aged 57 years”. That would make her birth abt 1785. Obviously Susannah wouldn’t have originally been a Filer but an interesting similarity!!
16 Nov 1833. Also another John Filer of Colchester, bookseller. “ Any person having claim on the effects of the late Mr John Filer, bookseller of North Hill, Colchester…………” He died 6th Nov 1833 aged 22  (?  Brother of the Susannah you mention)
Ipswich Journal - Saturday 07 April 1798   a John Filer made a voluntary contribution to the defence of the country of 1/- (Colchester)

Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire