Author Topic: Katie [Kate] Carrigy & Matthew Carrigy  (Read 3702 times)

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
Katie [Kate] Carrigy & Matthew Carrigy
« on: Sunday 29 November 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My great aunt Katie Carrigy [b. 1891] and great uncle Matthew Carrigy [b. 1889] immigrated to New York in 1908 [Katie] and 1911 (I believe) [Matthew].  Katie was received by her Aunt Margaret Carrigy and I've located Katie on the 1910 census.  I've been told that she married and that her husband died in WWI and Katie died during the 1918 flu pandemic. There is no record for her in the 1920 census.  I'm looking to find out if she did indeed marry and to whom, and if she did die during the pandemic and where she is buried.  Katie worked as a kitchen maid for the Coe family in New York City in 1910.

I've also been told that Matthew Carrigy died in the 1918 flu pandemic.  I've been unable to find any information on Matthew except a possible death record in 1922. 

Katie and Matthew were from a large family from Faughalstown, Westmeath.   Their parents were Bernard and Bridget [Muldarry].

Any information on the Aunt Margaret Carrigy that Katie was received by would be great too.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Katie [Kate] Carrigy & Matthew Carrigy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 23:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Carregy who died in 1919 with parents Bernard and Bridget Muldarrey
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WZQ-2SQ

Could the family lore be mixed up?

Have you found the family in Westmeath in 1901 Census?

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

I did indeed mix this up a bit.  Bernard and Bridget are Katie and Matthew's grandparents.  Their parents were Peter Carrigy [Bernard's son] and Ann Murtagh.  However, this information on Thomas Carrigy is very welcome.  My great-great Grandparents Bernard and Bridget did have a son Thomas alright and I have his birth as 1857, close to this estimated 1859, so very likley one and the same. We had no information on Thomas except he was thought to have died in 1875.  I live close to Calvery cemetary and will be able to research/visit this grave.

I do have the full family names of Peter and Ann Carriage's children [Katie and Matthew's parents] from the 1901 census alright.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Katie married Oscar Anderson in 1918
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:244H-PK5

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Sinann.  This fills in so much of Katies story and I'll be able to visit her grave too.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 15 01:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not having any luck with Matthew, I wonder could he have joined the Army.

The Aunt Margaret, what do you know about her, was she a sister of Peter and Thomas or an Aunt by marriage.
I'm just thinking her surname might not be Carrigy if she was their sister and married even though Carrigy was used on the emigration record.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 01:20 GMT (UK) »
I did find an Ellis island passenger record for a Matthew Carrigy arriving in 1911.  However the link to the passenger manifest leads to the wrong list so can't see the actual record to see which town he was from and who his father was.  There is another family story that he went to Argentina.

Thomas and Peter did have a sister Margaret b 1854.  I've not been able to confirm that this was the aunt that Katie was received by.  I do know that the Aunt Margaret who met Katie was residing/working at the hospital at 447 West 59th street indicating that she may have been single.  However Katie was detained at Ellis island and the detention record also lists Aunt Margaret as her contact with an address at 383 Ave A.

Lastly, I previously found an immigration record for a Margaret Carrigy arriving about 1860ish aged 2 but was unable to conclude a connection.