Author Topic: Gibson or Gulson?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibson or Gulson?
« on: Tuesday 01 December 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I have two transcripts for Twyford, each compiled from the PRs and apparently done independently of each other.  Both list the burial on 21 Sep 1841 of James Gibson, aged 18.

I couldn't find a death registration for James Gibson but did find one for James Gulson.  The certificate says he died of consumption on 19 Sep 1841 at Twyford.  He is named as the son of William Gulson, Agricultural Labourer, and the informant was Sarah Gulson who was present at the death, although no relationship is given.

The 1841 census shows a Sarah Gulson aged 45 living in Twyford with 9-year old Francis Gulson, but I cant find them anywhere in 1851 as either Gibson or Gulson.

I've identified most of the Gibson's in Twyford as being part of my family so any help in working out whether the James who died in 1841 was a Gibson or a Gulson would be greatly appreciated.  The only thing I can add is that the first generation of Gibson's to arrive in Twyford are believed to have come from Oakham, Rutland.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson or Gulson?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Vague possibility but there is a Sarah Gulson marriage in Sep 1848 Grantham district.

Unfortunately there are 4 grooms to choose from - surnames Dalton - Holt - Hubbard - Jarvis.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - still not getting anywhere tracing Francis after 1841 or a baptism for James so I'll see if I can rule any of these in/out over the weekend. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Gulson marries Samuel Henry Hubbard in 1848. She's from Ancaster and born c1827 - so she's the wrong age for yours

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, back to the drawing board - but thank you for saving me a job  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson or Gulson? Or maybe even Goodson?
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 December 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Searching for Sarah, William or Francis Gulson/Gibson, possible parents & sibling of the James who died in Twyford 1841, I've found an 1848 burial record in Twyford for a Francis Goodson aged 18.

As I cant find Francis Goodson in 1841 its possible he is the 9-year old Francis Gulson found in Twyford with Sarah. There is a burial of a Sarah Goodson in Twyford in 1857, but her age is given as 74, which is way out to the Sarah aged 45 in 1841, even allowing for the 5-year roundings.

Can anyone find a baptism for James (c1823) or Francis (c1831) as either Gibson, Gulson or Goodson, or anything vaguely similar?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 December 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
This could be the Sarah whose burial yuo found on 1851. In twyford

William Goodson 70 - ag lab, formerly farmer, b Harby
Sarah Goodson    68 - wife, b Hathern

there's a John Gulson, wife Catherine and family two doors down the census

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson or Gulson? Or maybe even Goodson?
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 December 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
This could be the Sarah whose burial yuo found on 1851. In twyford

William Goodson 70 - ag lab, formerly farmer, b Harby
Sarah Goodson    68 - wife, b Hathern

there's a John Gulson, wife Catherine and family two doors down the census

Yes, that would seem to be the Sarah who was buried in 1857, and its interesting that her husband is William and an Ag Lab, but she doesn't seem to fit age-wise with the Sarah Gulson in 1841 so that's another one I'll need to try & find in 1841 I think.

I have come across an 1834 baptism in Twyford of Page Towers Goodson baseborn s/o Sarah, but I cant find any trace of him after that either  ::)

And just to add the fun, the John D & Catherine Gulson two doors down from William & Catherine Goodson are actually John Doughty and Catherine Gilson who had several children baptised in Twyford.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Did just spot this marriage

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2XH-2JK

Sarah Goodson to Henry Barbidge 10th Sept 1834 Twyford

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire