Author Topic: Looking for baptism and burial of Sarah Hills nee Livermore  (Read 744 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for baptism and burial of Sarah Hills nee Livermore
« on: Monday 07 December 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Livermore married James Hills on 21st Feb 1824 at Great Chesterford. Both were single and otp. One witness was Richard Hills, the other was possibly a parish official as he witnessed multiple marriages.
I can find baptisms of several children to the couple all at Great Chesterford:
Anne 5 Sep 1824, Mary 1 Apr 1827, Robert 7 July 1829, Emma 8 July 1832 (died aged 19 months) and another Emma 7 Sep 1834.
On the 1841 census, there is James Hills 35, Ann Hills 15, Mary Hills 15, Emma 7 and Moses 5 all living in GC. On the 1851 census, There is James Hills 50, Ann 26, Mary 25,  Moses 14 and Harriott 2. James is confirmed as a widower, Ann, Mary and Moses are his children, and Harriott his grandaughter. James Hills was buried in GC in 1854 age 58 which makes his year of birth 1796, a bit earlier than on 1851 census, but maybe informant wasn't sure.
I have been unable to find any record of a death or burial for Sarah, searching GC burial records from 1834 (in case Moses isn't her child - I cannot find his baptism either) up to 1851 (in case she was just away from home in 1841).

Nor can I find her baptism (as Sarah Livermore). I would guess she was a similar age to James, so born around 1800.
Has anyone any suggestions where she might have come from. I have several GC Livermores on my tree, but Sarah doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism and burial of Sarah Hills nee Livermore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Just found Moses baptism - can't think how I missed it last night  - must have been getting tired.
He was baptised 24 April 1836 at Great Chesterford, mother was Sarah, so the most likely death range for her is between 1836 and 1841.

added

And I've now found a newspaper article from 1838 about Sarah Hills wife of James Hills of Chesterford being transported for 7 years for four counts of fraud. So that explains why she wasn't on the 1841 census.
Now to find where she was transported to and what happened to her next.
That was a surprise. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
A few days after the trial she escaped from Saffron Walden gaol!

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette 21 April 1838 page 3

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »
They must have caught her as on 29 October 1838 she was transported for 7 years, ship named Planter.

Assigned to Newcastle Goal in New South Wales she served 6 months her number was 578 and names the ship Planter that she was transported on. She was released to work in a factory, assigned to service, live in boarder is the description.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Thats strange as this info is on Convict Records;
Sarah Hill, one of 171 convicts transported on the Planter, 29 October 1838
Name:    Sarah Hill
Aliases:    none
Date of Birth:    1813
Date of Death:    2nd November, 1887

Age is way out?

http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/planter/1838

EDIT, sorry my mistake,  2 Sarah Hills on same Ship. The above one from Nottingham the other from Essex, no extra info on her other than name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the extra information. I was hoping there might be an accurate age somewhere so I could narrow down her date of birth. There was petition raised for her release instigated by the vicar of Great Chesterford after she was convicted. But escaping from Saffron Walden gaol shortly after conviction rather spoilt her chances of any notice being taken. In the newspaper articles about her escape she was referred to as Sarah Hills alias Loverett (sic). I don't know whether this was an attempt at spelling her maiden name or connected to one of her crimes. One indictment was a fraud perpetrated on a John Leverett, perhaps she tried to get money from him by pretending she was related to him.
The only record I have of her as a Livermore is the marriage record and she signed her married name on that not her maiden name, but if she was literate and the clerk had made an error with her maiden name on the record, I would have hoped she would have noticed it and pointed it out.
On the 1851 census her husband describes himself as a widower, I wonder whether he would actually have been notified if she had died, or it was just his assumption.