Author Topic: Charlotte Thompson M:1802 John Tindall Convict)  (Read 4832 times)

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte Thompson M:1802 John Tindall Convict)
« on: Tuesday 08 December 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find information on Charlotte Sarah Thompson
B:1784 St John the Evangelist Ousebridge Yorkshire, England
M:1802 Budwith, England (John Tindall (convict) B:1779 Willitoft Bubwith Yorkshire, England
D: Charlotte???
D: John died in 1836 Castlereagh NSW Australia

What I am needing help with as I can see if she remarried (on the side I did see a Charlotte Tindall married a Thomas Mansell in Castlereagh NSW in 1839) once again cant find nay death for her under that name either.

So if anyone can help me fill in this gap would be great

Thank you in advance
Tracy67

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Thompson M:1802 John Tindall Convict)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Can you please confirm that John TINDALL's wife, Charlotte, came to New South Wales, and if so, the name of her ship of arrival ?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Born 6 July 1820, baptised 6 Sept 1820, at Christ Church C of E, Castlereagh NSW, Charlotte, daughter of John and Charlotte TYNDAL

NSW BDM Vol 1, line 5210, of 1820. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
John her husband  arrived on Indefatigable  ship convict on Sydney cove 26th april 1815, yes dhe did as they had more children when they arrived.

Tracy67

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks.... here's some more info, still using the surname TYNDAL ..... Is this your family?

NSW State Records INDEX for Child Care and Protection.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-education-and-child-welfare-records/index-to-child-care-and-protection/index-to-child-care-and-protection

Charlotte TYNDAL aged 9 years,  committal date 27 Jan 1830.

Remarks :

Father John TYNDAL
Petitioner John TYNDAL,  Requesting entry of child into orphan school.
Page 129-131 Reel 2776. 

From an online image I read:  That the said John TYNDAL has been some years a tenant of John MacHenry Esq, has an Emancipation and sometime ago had a paralytic stroke.  His wife lives with him.  They have four children,  William born in the year 1812,  George in 1815,  John born in 1818, Charlotte born in 1821 and Michael born in 1824.  He obtained his emancipation or conditional pardon for helping to make the new road over the mountains;  his wife came free. 

And on the next page     The Child Charlotte TYNDAL was baptised by me but as the registry is at Mr NORTON'S I cannot tell the date.   Henry FULTON, Chaplain. 

I understand that Ancestry has a partnership arrangement with NSW State Records and some of the archives have been uploaded to Ancestry.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte TINDAL who married Thomas MANSELL 10 June 1839 was recorded as aged 21 on the Applications to Marry.  OOPPPPPSSSS 10 June 1839 is date of the Application to Marry.  marriage 15 July 1839.

Thomas Mansell, 38, ex Florentia (2), Life, Ticket of Leave, (39/0589)
and
Charlotte TINDAL 21, ex North Britain, Free/Free,
Rev Henry FULTON at Castlereagh, 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCL-L4M
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZK-C98

Cheers,  JM  (edit to correct dates, JM mis-read)

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
You are saying that charlotte Tindall did remarried  after john tindall died in 1836..

Do was i right to say she married Thomas mansell but still cant find in death details on her!!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Am I .... is the family I listed with the spelling TYNDAL your family?   Afterall, the same Reverend baptised Charlotte in 1820, but by 1830 without his registry at hand, has her year of birth as 1821, and she was placed in the orphanage.    So, perhaps it was that Charlotte born 1820 who married in 1839 .... and Rev FULTON simply recorded her MOTHER's ship of arrival.... 

There's a marriage 3 Jan 1848 for a Charlotte TINDALL, and John STEWART, Sydney NSW....
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZ3-6MC

There's many lasses named Charlotte with surname as variation of TYNDAL in NSW in the decades before the gold rushes....

Re lack of death registration.   Civil registration commenced 1 March 1856. Initially it was the responsibility of the head of the household to report the death to the police, who could then determine if it was a sudden death, needing an inquest or at least an enquiry....  If there was an inquest/enquiry, and it was not in Sydney CBD where many people lived (and therefore died so the system of registration was frequently in use) , then the police would issue an interim order permitting the burial.  Consequently many 'rural' (including of course Castlereagh, Evan, and even Parramatta, Liverpool etc) districts did not receive the rest of the paperwork for the registration to proceed.   The administrative system was eventually sorted, but not before WWI when it became driven by pre-printed forms, and funeral directors became responsible for the documentation....

ADD
By recording the bride's age as 21, the Rev would not have needed to ask the bride to find a parent to give consent, as at age 21 the bride was old enough to give her own consent to her own marriage.   It actually suggests to me that the bride's mum was no longer in the district .... perhaps deceased.   Do you have info on the youngest of John's children listed in the petition that put Charlotte in the Orphanage....  (Born 1824, so by 1839 he could well have 'left home' and be making his own way in life....

Cheers,  JM

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
You have given me a few things to look up so i will confirm once i have looked.
Thanks
Tracy67