Author Topic: William John James , Buried Toronto January 1939  (Read 3862 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John James , Buried Toronto January 1939
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 December 15 22:20 GMT (UK) »
To everyone who has helped on this thread , I want to thank you on behalf of my family . They are so  grateful that so many people are willing you use their own time to help resolve our family story.

Many thanks again to you all

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 December 15 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I suppose my original question still stands

"William John James , Died Wayne County Michigan 11th January 1939 aged 40. His death certificate read that his wife Susan removed his body for burial in Toronto .

Can anyone tell me if there is an obituary for him in Canada and if possible where he is buried ?"

We do not now  think there is a Obituary in Canada but there is a small note in "The Glamorgan Advertiser"  (paper in Wales)of late January 1939 (not online but thanks to Anna of Y Llynfi Library in Maesteg ,South Wales) . From this we know that Susan his second wife sent a cable to William's mother 5 days after he died to tell her the sad news, this arrived a couple of days after a letter from William to his mother telling her how he was "enjoying good health"

So the remaining question is where does William lie. I could be asking you this question when in fact he may have been cremated , but this may not have been an option.

Many thanks in advance  and a Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 December 15 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I also think it might be worth checking with Prospect Cemetery to see if they have any more information about the William who died on Jan 11 1939 and is buried there. 

RK

As RK suggested, you might try writing to Mount Pleasant Group, asking if they would be able to provide any information about Mr. James' plot (also asking if there would be a fee for any services provided).  ;)
http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/deathoccurred/cemeteries/locations/p

Years ago, when trying to find where all of my ancestors were buried, most of the cemetery offices were able to help me locate their plots and even provided birthplaces and dates for my ancestors.  [In my letters, I stated how I was related to each person.  Some cemeteries will not release information to non-family members.  I also explained that I was unable to visit the cemeteries as I did not live in Canada at the time.]

Looking at the findagrave website (keeping in mind that a lot of cemeteries have not yet been fully photographed), there are only three William James' passing away in 1939 listed in Canada.  Knowing that your William's sister was buried in Prospect, it seems quite possible that William was buried there as well which brings us back to the burial that RK found, for a William James, died January 11, 1939.

I've not yet found an obituary for Mr. James.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 December 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa I have just emailed the Prospect cemetery....here's hoping

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 December 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
This thread as Shelley says is also liked to an enquiry on the Canada page and U.S. page of the forum
William John James died Grosse Point, Michigan, USA, January 11th 1939. His wife Susan had him removed according to the death certificate for funeral/burial in Toronto Canada. Where William's sister lived.  I am searching both sides of the border to see if this humble man a school janitor who had a short sad life ( losing his son and first wife in Wales in quick succession before travelling to Canada then the U.S. ) had any recognition at the time he died by way of obituary or did he pass away unnoticed . I have tried to get a location of his probable last resting place at  Prospect Cemetery in Toronto but so far have had no response ...... any help as always is gratefully received .

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 December 15 07:30 GMT (UK) »
First let me thank Val Savevska of The Mount Pleasant Group for her response and kind assistance . The response is as follows. William James . Age 40 , Born Wales, Date of Interment Jan 14 1939, Date of Death Jan 11 1939. Section 7 lot  1365 Prospect Cemetery (also listed as section 7 in another email). Next of kin Mrs S. James.  Funeral home Mc Dougall and Brown.
Val Savevska has also kindly supplied a map of the very large Prospect Cemetery.

These are the details I was looking for. It leaves the question Did William James serve at any time in the Canadian Army  between 1929 and 1936 because these are the only possible dates for him to have served ?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 December 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
The grave marker found on Find A Grave by RunKitty on December 12 was without any doubt provided by the Last Post Fund, a Canadian organization which has provided burial services for indigent veterans for over one hundred years.  When William James died in 1939 the Last Post Fund grave markers were a specific material and dimensions exactly matching that seen on his grave.  Perhaps if you contact them here http://www.lastpostfund.ca/EN/home.php they might be able to tell you when William James served in the Canadian Army.

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 December 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MANAWAKIAN. I will do that. I wish to thank you for your help on this thread I am very grateful that you have spent your time helping me and my family in our quest.