Author Topic: John Atkinson (1801) and Sarah Jordan (1797) Longhorsley and Netherwitton  (Read 618 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Atkinson (1801) and Sarah Jordan (1797) Longhorsley and Netherwitton
« on: Saturday 12 December 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on the people above (my X 3 great grandparents). From census returns I know that they originate from Longhorsley and Netherwitton but trying to find record of their births or baptisms to gain parents names is proving a sticking point.  From later baptisms records, of some of their children I think they were Roman Catholic and I think this is why I'm finding it difficult to trace them.  I can find their marriage in Longhorsley but am I right in thinking that Roman Catholics still had to marry in Church of England churches?  How can I go about finding Roman Catholic registers to trace their births? Do they exist?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Atkinson (1801) and Sarah Jordan (1797) Longhorsley and Netherwitton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
From 25th March 1754 until the introduction of Civil Registration from 1st July 1837, a legally valid marriage had to be in a C of E church, except for Quakers and Jews.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Longhorsley had a Roman Catholic church (St. Thomas) but records only begin in 1848.  There was also a catholic church at Witton Shields - records go from 1789 - 1803 and are held at Northumberland records office.

Witton Shields was actually in Longhorsley parish but closer to Netherwitton so I would imagine that both would use the same church.

Information from http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Parishes.html

Christine

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.  Are the records only held at Woodhorn or can they be viewed at Newcastle Library?

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Genuki usually says if there are transcriptions available at the library but there is no mention of it in that section.

I could do a look up for you if you can't get to Woodhorn but it will have to be January.  Woodhorn are closed from Christmas until 6th January and I'll not be there before Christmas - it's a bit too close now.

Christine

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh thank you for the offer.  No worries though I really need to,go up to Woodhorn and see what they have to offer.  I've quite a few loose ends and a number of families I need to try and look into.  Thank you though.