Author Topic: Jane/Jean Proudfoot 1849/1850  (Read 705 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane/Jean Proudfoot 1849/1850
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello I wonder if anyone can help, I recently found the forefather of my father’s side of the family via Sherriff’s records, William Proudfoot, Stone Mason of Moffat born around 1814/1818 his parents were George Proudfoot and Elizabeth Tweddie. I have noticed on other family trees and Familysearch that he was previously married to a Jane or Jeannie Patterson and there was a child born Jean, or Jeannie Proudfoot in 1849 but I can find no marriage or death for either Jane or Jeannie. From census records I can see William lives with his sister and brothers in various gatherings (John, James, Elizabeth) there is also a child call Jane who is recorded as a niece to the head but not which one of the family her parent was. If this is Jeannie I have tried searching death records, marriage, and emigration records using her ‘mothers’ name but cannot find her. William does marry a Janet McCallum in 1872 who already also has 4 children. Are there any sources or local records to confirm the birth/marriage/death of Jean Proudfoot and Jane Patterson and whether Jane is in actual factor the daughter of William and Jean? Many thanks for any help.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane/Jean Proudfoot 1849/1850
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 01:46 GMT (UK) »
It is a common occurrence in Scotland for an illegitimate child to grow up with the surname of their father.    This seems to be the case here I think.

Jane did indeed marry as Jeanie Proudfoot 20/11/1868 Moffat, Dumfries to a James Johnston Souter (incorrectly indexed on SP and familysearch as James Johnston).

Jeanie is aged 19, dau. of William Proudfoot, mason and Jane Paterson (deceased).
James is aged 27, son of James Souter, mason (deceased) and Janet Souter, M.S. (ie maiden name) Stafford (deceased).

As you can see in the wording for respective parents it would appear that her parents were not actually married although he brought up his child after the death of her mother.  I viewed her marriage certificate on SP.

By 1881 the Souter's are living in Glasgow and census for 81/91/01 all show her as Jeanie.

So the marriage certificate does confirm her parents as William Proudfoot and Jane Paterson.

However, you are highly unlikely to find her mothers death/burial as these records are few and far between before 1855 when civil registration began in Scotland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane/Jean Proudfoot 1849/1850
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I just assumed that someone may have had a family bible and that is where the information came from.

Thank you again
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan