Author Topic: Coat of Arms & Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965  (Read 6763 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms & Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 December 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
In summary, at the risk of becoming more confusing, I am asking, as the above seems to confirm it:

Mary Wentworth (nee Stanley) 'inherited' the Stanley arms through her brother Joseph Stanley (died 1856).
He must have got it from his father Joseph Stanley (1728-1789).
So who did Joseph Stanley (1728-1789) get it from?

Did Burke's (which I have never seen), give a clue on page 650?
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
 ???
ThePeerage.com says:

Sidney Stanley was born on 21 December 1828.1 He was the son of William Wentworth and Mary Ann Newport. He married Sara Foster, daughter of Edmond Foster, on 27 April 1859.1 He died on 9 July 1896 at age 67.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p40965.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
???
ThePeerage.com says:

Sidney Stanley was born on 21 December 1828.1 He was the son of William Wentworth and Mary Ann Newport. He married Sara Foster, daughter of Edmond Foster, on 27 April 1859.1 He died on 9 July 1896 at age 67.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p40965.htm
Yes, Sidney married Sara Foster. But I am interested in the root of the Stanley right to arms.  His upline.

Sidney's great-grandfather Joseph's line/right.

From ThePeerage http://www.thepeerage.com/p41071.htm#i410702

Joseph Stanley1
M, #410702, b. 1728, d. 1789

Joseph Stanley was born in 1728.1 He died in 1789.1
     He lived at Holbeck Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire, England.1

Citations
[S35] BLG1965 volume 1, page 650. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S35]

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't appear to answer your specific question but had you seen - London Gazette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21905/page/2554

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't appear to answer your specific question but had you seen - London Gazette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21905/page/2554
Yes, that was what first got me onto it - and wondering "who was Joseph then, if he had the arms ..." as I have no family tree for him and you'd think, for people with arms, it'd be easy to tap into their tree to see the route those arms took.

I started with a Samuel, gent.  I then looked around to see who else lived within 1-2 miles of him to see if I could piece together his family .... and discovered Joseph.  So I plotted Joseph's family, in case they lead me to any clues as to the root of Samuel (e.g. were Joseph/Samuel brothers) ... and as I plotted out Joseph's tree I discovered the intriguing son-of-Joseph who left all this money to his great-niece Mary .... and then the arms popped up.

So then I thought "Oh, arms - it'll be easy to find out more about Joseph (b 1728) then, that'll be well documented .... and I might find Samuel in his tree somewhere".  But I've found nothing.  All information I have starts with Joseph (b 1728).

- -

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
There is an online tree on ancestry for this family, but unfortunately it starts with Joseph.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:47 GMT (UK) »
There is an online tree on ancestry for this family, but unfortunately it starts with Joseph.
Cheers for that.  Joseph is so easy to find.... I found him and his entire family in one church in one town.  But, no clues beforehand.
It has to be out there.... he has arms .... you'd think that the posh people'd have ensured that their arms traceability was publicly available and easy to check for fraudsters wouldn't you.

After all, the idle rich have nothing better to do with their time/money than keep the ruffians out.

- -

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned above, do you which coat of arms it is? Meaning it is the coat of arms of so-and-so Stanley, of such and such. Find who received the original grant to bear this coat of arms, and you may find an online tree that way.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 December 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Find who received the original grant to bear this coat of arms, and you may find an online tree that way.
I guess that was the original question: How do you find out the original grant ..... and I bet that's easier than trying to find out how Joseph ended up with it. 

I am feeling I can't go down from the originator, nor up from the last named bloke I know that had it (Joseph).

This is the original arms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Derby
Earl of Derby.
Argent, on a bend azure three buck's heads cabossed or. Motto: Sans changer

- -