Author Topic: Alice Ferne Stevenson Death in Florida Help Please  (Read 1667 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice Ferne Stevenson Death in Florida Help Please
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I hope that someone can help me with my query. I have been tracking this lady for sometime as I believe she was married to a relative. She sometimes also goes by the name of Ferne Alice Stevenson.
I have many queries but initially I think it would be a good idea to get a copy of her death certificate. My question is, would the certificate have her husband's name on it and also does it have where she may be buried??? As I live in the UK it would be good to know what details are on a Florida death certificate.
Date of death is the 22nd May 1983 - Palm Beach, Florida.  The social security index has last residence 33460 Lake Worth , Palm Beach.
I believe she was originally from Canada and lived in various States. I also haven't managed to find her in the 1930 or 1940 census. Her husband's name was James Stevenson.

Any advise would be great.

Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Ferne Stevenson Death in Florida Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Previous topic on husband James Wilson Stevenson-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701768
   "I would also like to know how I could find details of his marriage to Alice whose maiden name was Smith."
Have you checked with the cemetery to see if Alice is buried with James?

The accuracy of the details on any certificate depend on what the informant says.

Born 14 Nov.1895 (according too SSDI) at Oak Bay, Charlotte, New Brunswick (according to other sources). She was living at North Branford, Connecticut in 1941 when naturalized and there in Aug.1940* as well.

* wonder if she and James were visiting in Canada at time 1940 census was taken.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
This index indicates that there was a death notice for Ferne, but no date for an obituary was listed.  http://www.gensocofpbc.org/cpage.php?pt=29

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at the border crossings

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK3R-62HM

United States Border Crossings from Canada to United States
Name    Alice Ferne Stevenson
Arrival Date    06 Aug 1940
Arrival Port    Calais, Maine,
Age    45
Birth Year (Estimated)    1895
Birthplace    , Oak Bay Nb
Gender    Female
Race    English
Departure Contact Name    Sister H Beatrice Smith
Says she was in the US from 11/10/33 to 7/27/40
Home North Branford Conn.

There are several entries including one arrival 27 Oct 1923 from Canada to USA where she names James as husband

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all the responses
Yes, I now have this lady on the Canadian census 1891, 1901 and then on the 1910 US census with her parents. The parents are back in Canada for the next census. I have also looked at Family search and Ancestry and have picked up various border crossings. I also have another entry that states she was in the US from 1924 - 1932 - Calais, Maine. Both the Maine and North Branford locations tie in with my James Stevenson but as I haven't managed to find a marriage yet I can only 'guess' Alice Ferne was his wife. I was hoping the husband's details would be on Alice's death certificate to provide some proof.

I also discovered that Alice was the informant on her sister's death certificate which has her down as Mrs Fern Stevens in Ohio. That was 1955 . She certainly got about!!

I agree it is possible that James and Alice may have been in Canada at the time of the Census. Who knows? Would James need a passport or just papers of some sort.

More questions???

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 15 02:11 GMT (UK) »
A Passport for US Citizen to cross over the border to/from Canada?  No then yes now.

"US citizens can no longer cross the border, back into the US, from Canada, using only a driver's licence and birth certificate.  Due to changes in U.S. law that took effect June 1, 2009".

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 15 02:44 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like this couple wouldn't have been US citizens prior to 1941, so I don't know if that affected anything. 

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for answers re the passports. I'm not surprised by the new laws.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 January 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I now have a copy of the death certificate which has provided some additional information which is great. Ferne was buried at the Memory Gardens Memorial Park, Lake Worth, Florida as stated on certificate.
(I presume now called The Lake Worth Memory Gardens)
I have looked to see if there are any details/photos online for headstones for this cemetery. Can't find anything. Can anyone confirm if there is anything out there.
I also have the details of the funeral home used. I am not sure about the USA but in other countries I have written to funeral homes and requested further information which has been provided quite happily. Is this the case here or is it just a matter of doing it and seeing what happens??