Author Topic: Jack Goadby Armagh  (Read 2660 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Goadby Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 December 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
What church records are you expecting to find that might give a local address and next of kin?

Names and details for local rolls of honour and war memorials were collected locally and it might be that his stepmother happened to be living there at the time.

Neither parent seems to have an Armagh connection (or even an Irish one). If you want to find a living relative you'd be best to trace his siblings.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS43-2MZ
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 December 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
If you want to find a living relative you'd be best to trace his siblings.

For example, sister Winifred Hallier Goadby birth's was registered 1893 Cardiff and there is a likely marriage 1916 Portsmouth (remember mother Clara died 1915 Portsmouth) to Alfred V. Rigler. Looks like they had 3 children (births 1919-1924 Portsmouth) but Winifred died 1932 Portsmouth. The son Kenneth V [Vernon?] died 1939 age 20. The daughter married 1947. Alfred V. Rigler age 70 died 1958 Portsmouth.

All of the above was easily (and quickly) found using http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Next, checking the probate records for Alfred brings up an extract which gives his name as Alfred Vernon Rigler died 5 May 1958 with the full name of the surviving son listed (occupation printer).
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

FreeBMD also lists a possible death- Jack Goadby, age 52, Apr./June 1953 Basford district

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 December 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey, more information than I thought possible, as they say easy when you know how. I will try that site freebmd.
Once again thank you for your help, Merry Xmas
Joe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 December 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
A brother James Frederick A. Goadby (1888-1893)
Sister Charlotte Ellen Goadby (c1891 Cardiff-1929 Brighton) m.(1913 Portsmouth) Frederick Alfred Henry Baker (1890-1949)- 1 son

May have found living relatives but need to check a bit more. Will send PM

Charlotte & Frederick had 1 son- Frederick Ernest R. Baker (1914-1998) who married (1939) but I can't find any children for that marriage.

I suspect that only possibilty of finding living people here will be descendants of Winifred. There is, however, a tree of some sort on Ancestry and the owner might have more details about Jack Goadby.

Offline Rigler49

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 August 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see you are looking for information to do with my direct line Alfred Vernon Rigler was my Great Uncle and Winifred Hallier Goadby my Great Aunt. If you would like to contact me please do so. I have extensive records for Goadby 11 generation in the past and very up to date information on my immediate family

Yours Robbie

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie
 Just back from a few days away so sorry for the delay. Jack Goaby name is on St Marks WW1 list of members served, I am recording details hopefully for publication of those who served in WW1 for future generations I cant find any details on your relative. Will send PM.
So hopefully you can help
Yours
Joe