Author Topic: Tracing Merchant Seaman  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Suo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Merchant Seaman
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 15 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Hugh.  That seems to connect with another hit I had last night on Ancestry in Naval ratings it lists his name LS 4566 A. Which I presume is his number. All I have to do now is link all of my hits together and positively link them to my ancestor! :o  ;D

Offline Suo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 December 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Can either of you advise what the number 13755 might refer to? I made the rooky mistake of writing the number down next to my ancestors name but not what it referred to! I found it in the Nat Arch.. but when I try to back track it just gives me the reference in a list of numbers but not what it is. I can't remember if it refer directly to John or whether it is ref to a ship :-[

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 December 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Can you confirm exactly what record refers to LS 4566 A -  Naval ratings or Royal Naval Reserve ratings?
13755 may refer to an ADM piece reference from the National Archives or it could be a merchant ship official number. I would need a bit more of a context to make an informed comment.

SW, ditto, best wishes for the New Year also.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Suo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 January 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your patience Hugh and Seaweed. I have attached the Naval rating record that I found so you can see what it looks like. I think that the other number was separate to this and I have a vague recollection that it may have been in relation to an ocean going ship.. but I cannot now find the original reference that I saw so I don"t know why I think this or even why I wrote it next to John's name.. except that I was looking into info about him at the time! I am not usually this scatty and am pretty mad at myself but done is done .. am am driving myself mad going around in circles trying to remember what it was related to..grrr!
Happy New Year by the way :-[

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 January 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suo,
The number is actually CS 4566A. This is a Royal Navy Continious Service number and belongs to Jno Jarrett born in 1829 in Kingstown, Kent so it's not your man.

The joys of research can mean lots of time ruling people in and out.
The number 13755 in the context of a merchant ship official number refers to the sailing ship BRITISH EMPIRE but it really depends on where you saw this and in which context or person it refers to.

Keep plugging away at it is the best advice I can give - it worked for me. 

Happy New Year to you.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Suo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 January 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Hugh, at least I won't erroneously add that bit of info to my research on him. Will look into the ship a little more... it maybe that it is attached to the other john jarrett!

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 January 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I discounted 13755 as an official number. BRITISH EMPIRE was a large sailing ship mainly employed in the South American trade. Although not impossible, it is a little at odds with the other 2 vessels we know/think he sailed on, which were both steamships employed in the coastal trade.
As Hugh said "keep plugging away" With determination,you will get there in the end.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Suo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 January 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking it out for me. Will keep working away and hope fully will find some more. Thanks for all your help