Author Topic: Looking for a grave photo New Cumnock Old Cemetery  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
Looking for a grave photo New Cumnock Old Cemetery
« on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Long time no see.
I'm getting back in to my Mitchell research, and was wondering whether anyone living near the New Cumnock Old Cemetery would be willing to nab a photo of a grave for me. I am all the way over in New Zealand, so it's a tad difficult to get a photo, otherwise I surely would! :-)

The plot number is 13473 and the transcription on the grave reads:
Erected John Mitchell, Lochingerroch 7.4.1886 83, In memory of father Hugh 4.9.1835 80, mother Jane Dunn 1.11.1853 70, brother William 9.2.1811 3, sister Jane 10.12.1819 14, sister Margaret 18.12.1820 20, son Ellen 19.2.1855 35, son Hugh 28.2.1886 39, wife Jane McCormick 15.9.1895 74, daughter Jessie 31.10.1922 67.

I would absolutely love a photo! Happy to look up any ancestors of yours who may be buried in Ayrshire, as I have a 3 month subscription with AyrshireAncestors.com.

Thanks!

Georgia
McLeod, Mitchell, McCormick, Dunn, Steele.

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a grave photo New Cumnock Old Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Georgia, I'm in NZ too and have New Cumnock Ancestors!  I do have a number of photos from New Cumnock Cemetery, but not your names, sorry.  I do however have other New Cumnock resources and family still living there, I will do my best to try and arrange a photo for you.

Pity - If you'd asked for this in August I could have done it myself - I was there visiting family, and paying my respects to my great grandparents and other family members who are buried there.

It will be a while though, as my "photo whizz"  will be away until the end of January.  Someone else may be able do it before then, but I'll keep trying anyway.

Happy New Year!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaybel
Happy New Year (almost!) to you, too!

That is a pity! However, I was rather busy with two jobs in August and I just had zero time to devote to genealogy. I am still working the two jobs, but have a wee bit of a holiday and so will make sure I make time for this. Especially now as I have possibly found a set of parents + siblings. Exciting!

Ideally, I would visit myself. However, I don't think it will be realistic in 2016. If that person who won the $15m would like to share, though, I'd go in a heartbeat! ;)

Thank you for the thought, it's no great rush. It's just to have a photo, to be able to see something of my ancestors. In the mean time, I shall keep trying to dig up more information. I'm contemplating a visit to the Auckland City Library, as it appears they have a few resources on Ayrshire.

Actually, while I think of it, do any of those photos contain Purdie's or Campbell's? They aren't direct ancestors of mine, but I suspect a couple of Purdie's I have met here are related to them, and thus, distantly to me. Just a cheeky Q. Thanks :-)

For a friend: Armstrong, Turner, Cooper, White (New Zealand and Victoria, Australia)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Not cheeky at all Georgia!  Funnily enough, I'm not related to a Purdie, but my photo whizz I mentioned, is married to a Purdie, and she has some relatives that came to NZ!

We will have to work on this!  I do have other family there I can try!  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  - during the course of my research, and my 3 visits to NC, I was introduced to many people, and I was related, albeit distantly, to almost all that I met!

Both my grandparents were from New Cumnock! Big families and lots of connections into lots more!

I'll take a browse through my books in the next few days - see what I can find!

Cheers
Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Georgia Mitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur C. Kennett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
How fabulous! I also note one of your research interests in Scotland is the name Mason, of which my OH is descended from. Not 100% familiar with his family yet, but could be a link or two there.  :)

I look forward to hearing from you.  :)

Cheery!

Georgia

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Yep one of my great grandmothers was a Mason.  Lived in Connelpark miners rows, where they all did!   Believe me, if there's one link, there will be more!  🎅🎅🎅

TOLD YA!!  LOL -

Also McAughtrie, Watson, Walker, Houston, Ferguson, Williamson, Glendinning, Robertson, and others connected to those that I can't recall off the top of my head!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgia, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. No news for you at this stage, as my friend in Cumnock has been in hospital for some weeks seriously ill, and so not able to get about at present. 

I haven't had a chance to ask his wife about her Purdies either but if you could PM me their names, I'll email her, and I can then check their tree, which I host for them on ancestry!

Oh, and sorry to say there's no mention of any Mitchells in my books either!

Jeanne 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections