Author Topic: Craddock family Bedfordshire  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock family Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 January 16 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Hull, born Moulton, Northants, is on the 1851 census (Piece: HO107/1751 Folio: 620 Page: 32). The Sarah Hull in Kempston is definitely not yours.

How do you know? I'll have a look at your census info above, but it puzzles me greatly, all this!

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 January 16 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Hull, born Moulton, Northants, is on the 1851 census (Piece: HO107/1751 Folio: 620 Page: 32). The Sarah Hull in Kempston is definitely not yours.

How do you know? I'll have a look at your census info above, but it puzzles me greatly, all this!

Yes, I believe she is the one - was she his housekeeper?

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 January 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
"Housekeeper" was probably a discreet way of describing their relationship!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 January 16 07:42 GMT (UK) »
"Housekeeper" was probably a discreet way of describing their relationship!

Hahahahaha :o

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 February 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds marriages and baptisms pre 1813 are on the IGI at www.familysearch.org

Are they? Because I don't seem to be able to find any children for the John Craddock x Elizabeth Chapman marriage... Are you able to help me out? And are burials online too?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there aren't any.... the Harrold PR has no Craddock baptisms after the 1791 marriage up to end of 1812. Burials, if any, as from the NBI are on FindMyPast.
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there aren't any.... the Harrold PR has no Craddock baptisms after the 1791 marriage up to end of 1812. Burials, if any, as from the NBI are on FindMyPast.

I am in possession of the Harrold info, bought a CD of the Beds family history society. Indeed not too many Craddocks there, only the 1791 marriage and the baptisms of relatives. Basically, anyone doing anything there between 1818 and 1849 are related to each other and to me.

So if there were no children for the 1791 Craddock/Chapman marriage, there would not have been any? Would I be able to find a possible death or birth for her, perhaps on FindMyPast?

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
How deeply have you looked at Craddocks in Moulton? That seems to me to be more likely.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 February 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
How deeply have you looked at Craddocks in Moulton? That seems to me to be more likely.

I've unearthed the whole Moulton Craddock clan, which is closely related to the Kingsthorpe clan. I might have a few suitable candidates, but the problem is: there were no fewer than 3 John Craddocks, all born around Kingsthorpe in the 1760s (cousins or second cousins) so I am not sure who is who.

Anyone with a time machine that can go check?

I *know* for a fact that MY John Craddock married in Moulton in 1810, but since he was a widower I would need to know who he was married to before that. My JC left Moulton to go to Harrold between the death of his son (buried Oct Moulton 1817) and the birth of his daughter (baptised Harrold in Nov 1818). I'm therefore focusing on Moulton, Kingsthorpe and Harrold.

I'm just not sure whether Elizabeth Chapman is a candidate for *my* JC, though... The fact that it is a Harrold marriage does make sense with him returning later, but whatever would they have been up to in between 1791 and 1810? When/Where did Elizabeth die? And, for that matter, where was she from? I would assume she was from around Harrold, or it would be weird for a Northamptonshire boy to go all the way to Harrold just to get married.