Author Topic: Craddock family Bedfordshire  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock family Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
To recap..... Martha Craddick was baptised at Harrold on 18 Nov 1818 daughter of John & Anne Craddick, labourer. Her siblings were Sarah baptised 28/6/1811, Sophia baptised 27/9/1813 and Peter baptised 26/1/1817 all at Moulton, Northants as per FreeReg; children of John & Anne Cradock. Peter was buried at Moulton on 24/10/1817 age 1, died from measles. Sophia died in Harrold & was buried there aged 9 on 8 Jun 1823. Most likely their father John Craddock was buried at Harrold on 15/12/1818 but no age is recorded.   

Martha age 20 and Sarah age 25 appear on the 1841 census in the Bedford Union Workhouse, however they have with them Ann age 1 (listed after Martha), Thomas age 8, Joseph age 4 & Anne age 1 (listed after Sarah) - suggesting to me that they are children of the two girls.

Sure enough... in Eureka publication Bedford Union Workhouse Births we have:-
Parent Sarah Craddock of Harrold, child Anne, illegitimate, born March 1840, baptised 20/3/1840
Parent Martha Craddock of Harrold, child Anne, illegitimate, born 21 March 1840, baptised 26/3/1840
There is also...
Parent Martha Craddock of Harrold, child John, illegitimate, born 2/4/1845, baptised 11/4/1845

In 1841 mother Ann Craddock is a lodger with Stephen & Ann Pettit in Harrold aged 65, not born in Beds.  She was buried in Harrold on 4 Apr 1849 age 60. This makes her born 1776-1780. 

The above supports the fact that the parents are John Craddock, widower of Moulton who married Ann Lucas, spinster of Moulton who married at Moulton on 5 May 1810. However it does not verify that this is the same John Craddock who married Elizabeth Chapman at Harrold on 10 Oct 1791. It'd be good to find a burial of first wife Elizabeth prior to the Moulton marriage in 1810.

Yes, sigh, that burial I've been looking for for ages... I've now emailed someone at the Beds records, who might be able to help me out. Might be cheaper than travelling to Beds myself ;-)

Little detail: in the 1861 census it's Sarah's son Thomas who's a boarder with a Pettit family. There must be a relation between those two families too but let's not open yet another can of worms, eh?

The rest of your summary is correct. Martha Craddock (who is my direct ancestor) eventually ended up having yet another illegitimate child with one Joseph Lightfoot, a son who was baptised John Craddock in April of 1845. Martha and Joseph married in July and from then on John is known as John Lightfoot. Some time between July 1845 and February 1846 the whole family (Martha and Joseph and their newborn, Martha's daughter (Mary) Ann and Joseph's four children) end up in Cape Town, South Africa.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 January 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
If you've not seen this & wondered what happened to Joseph Craddock; this is from Bedford Mercury of 10 Oct 1846, his brother mentioned I assume is Thomas. Joseph was buried at Harrold on 6 Oct 1846 age 9.

Mother Sarah Craddock of Harrold (no father mentioned) went on to marry William Hull, widower of Roxton, father Thomas Hull, at Harrold on 27 Mar 1849 .... but I cannot find them on 1851 census. Interestingly in 1851 at the Bedford Union Workhouse is a 10 year old Ann Craddock, born Harrold.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 January 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Next....  from Northampton Mercury 4 July 1846 (repeated in Bedford Mercury) regarding charges against Sarah Craddock in the Bedford Workhouse & (her daughter?) Ann Craddock.....
Clement - Croydon

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 January 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
If you've not seen this & wondered what happened to Joseph Craddock; this is from Bedford Mercury of 10 Oct 1846, his brother mentioned I assume is Thomas. Joseph was buried at Harrold on 6 Oct 1846 age 9.

Mother Sarah Craddock of Harrold (no father mentioned) went on to marry William Hull, widower of Roxton, father Thomas Hull, at Harrold on 27 Mar 1849 .... but I cannot find them on 1851 census. Interestingly in 1851 at the Bedford Union Workhouse is a 10 year old Ann Craddock, born Harrold.

Wow, this is new for me, what an interesting (and sad!!!) article! A must-share with my fellow genealogist sister :-) I did know that Joseph died, but not how. Thanks!

Sarah's children were all illegitimate (Joseph, Thomas and Ann(e)) and Sarah was already a widow again in the 1851 census. Thomas Hull died in 1850 I believe. Sad though that she left her children in the workhouse...

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Craddock (now Hull) married George Davis at Bedford St Cuthbert's on Jan 15th 1854. (They were together in the 1851 census.) George was a widower by 1859, when he married again.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Craddock (now Hull) married George Davis at Bedford St Cuthbert's on Jan 15th 1854. (They were together in the 1851 census.) George was a widower by 1859, when he married again.

Pfff, the plot thickens! These people sure didn't like being alone, did they?
Will look Sarah up in the 1851 census! :)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 January 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »

Are you sure this is the right one? I have Sarah Hull, Widos, as a lodger with the Garrat Family (Thomas 32, Ann 27, James 1) in Kempston, Beds, in 1851. No Davis in sight...
Could you please enlighten me?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 January 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »
What Steve found was in Bedford St Cuthberts; George Davis b 1796 Warwicks with Sarah Hull, unmarried born 1806, Moulton, Northants & Joseph Davis aged 11.

The 1854 marriage has it that her father is John Craddock.

See for more info....   http://www.stevengibbs.me.uk/ParishRegistersPage.htm
Clement - Croydon

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 January 16 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Hull, born Moulton, Northants, is on the 1851 census (Piece: HO107/1751 Folio: 620 Page: 32). The Sarah Hull in Kempston is definitely not yours.