Author Topic: Craddock family Bedfordshire  (Read 4910 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock family Bedfordshire
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 February 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
or it would be weird for a Northamptonshire boy to go all the way to Harrold just to get married.

Harrold is only a couple of miles from Bozeat in Northants, so it wouldn't have been weird at all.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock family Bedfordshire
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 February 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
or it would be weird for a Northamptonshire boy to go all the way to Harrold just to get married.

Harrold is only a couple of miles from Bozeat in Northants, so it wouldn't have been weird at all.

True, it isn't that far away, but if both John Craddock *and* Elizabeth Chapman came from Northamptonshire, that would make it slightly weird. I would assume that Harrold was the parish of one of the two, most probably the bride as I found that in many cases a marriage would take place in the bride's parish church after which the couple settled at the groom's parish. I therefore assume that Elizabeth Chapman was probably a Bedford girl, or at least living there at the time of the wedding, while John Craddock could have come from anywhere - Northamptonshire being the most logical location, as there were a *great* number of millers there (am cataloguing them as we speak, and there are a LOT!)...