Author Topic: Need some advice about a birth certificate  (Read 1413 times)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need some advice about a birth certificate
« on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me posting but I need some advice about a birth certificate.

A friend has got a copy if you can call it that of a birth certificate for a half sibling born in Glasgow.
My friend believes that if the half sibling had been adopted that there would be an initial on the certificate to indicate this. Obviously things are slightly different in Scotland and I wondered if this is correct?

The copy my friend has got says Clients name (with my friends name next to it), Birth Certificate of Half Sibling (relationship to enquirer), then District, entry no, name, date of birth, place. Fathers name is blank.

I would be grateful for any feed back.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice about a birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm no expert, but I believe that the certificate shows all the information available. I don't think there would be anything on it to suggest an adoption. There are topics here on rootschat about adoption.It would be worthwhile reading them. Here is a link you might find useful; http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/adoption-records
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I'd be inclined to suggest to your friend that he/she e-mails Scotlandspeople to put the question to them. That way there should be an authoritative answer.
Elwyn

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:11 GMT (UK) »
What year does it refer to?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of a "Scottish" birth cert. for a child who was adopted.......(at birth)

It states the same as any other Scottish birth cert. but............

Below the usual info. there is an oblong box which stretches the width of the page & within that box, Left side it says in capitals ADOPTED

Not sure what would happen with an adoption.....a time after the birth?

Annie

ADDED.....This was a 1950's cert.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »

A friend has got a copy if you can call it that of a birth certificate for a half sibling born in Glasgow.
My friend believes that if the half sibling had been adopted that there would be an initial on the certificate to indicate this. Obviously things are slightly different in Scotland and I wondered if this is correct?

The copy my friend has got says Clients name (with my friends name next to it), Birth Certificate of Half Sibling (relationship to enquirer), then District, entry no, name, date of birth, place. Fathers name is blank.

Hi Nettie,

Sorry, but the above doesn't sound right.

A normal birth cert. doesn't have "Client's name" in any box.

The 1st box on left has a number (for registration). 2nd box, "Name & Surname" where the child's given name would be... Joe Bloggs. 3rd box, when & where born......and so on.

Can you scan & post a clip of where it mentions "Client" please?

Why would the name of a sibling be on a birth cert....or am I reading this wrong, the way you have worded it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 08:42 GMT (UK) »
In the 1950s, the normal process was that if a child was adopted, then the child's original birth certificate has a stamp in the left margin and the word 'Adopted' written in.

There will also be an adoption certificate, but if you don't know the child's adoptive name you will not be able to find it. Adoption certificates tell you nothing about the biological parents, and only the adopted child is allowed to see his/her original birth certificate.

I presume that whoever got this certificate did so via some sort of professional research service, which has transcribed the details and added some information of its own. Anything other than the details listed at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&628 is not on the original birth certificate. It most certainly does not contain a 'Client's name' or the words 'Birth Certificate of Half Sibling (relationship to enquirer)'.

As the father's name is blank you can safely assume that the child was illegitimate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.