Author Topic: Elder / Naming of the children of unwed mothers  (Read 4253 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elder / Naming of the children of unwed mothers
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
theres a tree on ancestry that has a mary kennedy born in the 1830s to the same parents are henry but she died in Australia in 1857 but I dont have any evidence that there is a connection or a misunderstanding with names. She married a Daniel Dwelly

but here you say
there is a possible sister of Henry called Mary that died in Australia in 1857.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
How do we know his wife was Mary Kane for sure. Theres a tree on Ancestry that says Martha and Margaret are the children of John Elder and Margaret Scott

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 March 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
How do we know his wife was Mary Kane for sure. Theres a tree on Ancestry that says Martha and Margaret are the children of John Elder and Margaret Scott

From memory, I think Mary Kane's name came frommight have come from either a pension application or Scottish certificate but most of my files are still packed away so I'm not able to check at the moment.

What tree on Ancestry? I did find several where a John Elder married a Margaret Scott but none that I can see connect to John Elder of Ballylintagh.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
I see that you've been online and even started a new topic yesterday and since you haven't responded to my last post it would appear that you are no longer interested in tracing the Elder/Kennedy family.

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry my reply to you hasnt uploaded.

I said "id looked up martha and margaret on ancestry trees for john elder and everyone came up with margaret scott being the mother to martha and margaret and also numerous other children"

Im just a bit confused with the info im being told. I still dont get how we can be certain Mary Kane is the name of the mother of Mary Elder and that there is a connection between Martha/Margaret and Mary

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
The bit I am querying right now is

I don't have an Ancestry subscription and am not at the library at the moment and you've not posted enough details to be sure of finding the tree you seem to have found there. The other day I did find several ancestry trees for a John Elder and Margaret Scott but he was born in Ireland c1766 and died in Ohio in 1833 so these can't the trees that you found. Could you please go back to the tree that you did find and check details of the parents.

Im just a bit confused with the info im being told. I still dont get how we can be certain Mary Kane is the name of the mother of Mary Elder and that there is a connection between Martha/Margaret and Mary
Most of my files are still packed away but will have a look through a few boxes if I get a chance later. However, I'm confident that 1) John's wife was Mary Kane and 2) his wife was not a Margaret Scott.