Author Topic: "Chapel of Garston"  (Read 2374 times)

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Chapel of Garston"
« on: Friday 08 January 16 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I am after any information on "Joseph Wilson" who was recorded as a Sailor he married "Margery Mercer" in the Garston Chapel in 1735 I got information off his marriage bond.

I was wondering did the Wilson family live around Garston as well it did mention "Alleston"
the family could have been in boat building in Liverpool

Regards
Nc

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Chapel of Garston"
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 16 08:28 GMT (UK) »
HUGE Wilson family still here in Garston ...
it is Allerton - not Alleston ...Garston and Allerton are adjoining villages

Garston Chapel was created as a chapel in 1729 - so their marriage in 1735 was an early record ..
I have searched www.familysearch.org and there are no records that early for Joseph Wilson or Margery Mercer that I can find ?

there is a burial for a Joseph Wilson at Garston Chapel 21st March 1779 - father James Wilson ...I think this may be a grandson of your Joseph Wilson ...also a burial in 1786 for a Richard Wilson - same father ...

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 16 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help

This is where I got some of information about Joseph

Regards
Nc

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 16 07:14 GMT (UK) »
OK ....we have Garston - next to that is Allerton and next to that is Woolton ...so the record states
Joseph Wilson - Liverpool .....Margery Mercer - Woolton ....so ...it looks to me that Joseph Wilson was from the Liverpool city centre area and Margery Mercer from Woolton .....the only thing I can think of is that Margery Mercers parents were from Garston and that Joseph and Margery married in Garston because that was Margerys parents parish church ...
Garston to Woolton is 4 miles ....back in a minute
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at familysearch.org, Margery Mercer's place of residence is shown as Poolton Cum Seacomb and not Woolton.

On the face of it, I agree it would seem more logical for it to be Woolton as this adjoins Allerton but it looks like she was from what is now Poulton cum Seacombe - an area of Wallasey - on the Wirral.

Strange

Alan

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 16 11:25 GMT (UK) »
How is the Allerton reference on the marriage bond worded? It could be that either bride or groom has some family link to the Garston area but they may have met in Liverpool which was the region's main centre for finding work, trading, transport and retail.

Blue

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
How is the Allerton reference on the marriage bond worded? It could be that either bride or groom has some family link to the Garston area but they may have met in Liverpool which was the region's main centre for finding work, trading, transport and retail.

Blue

totally agree Blue - seems the most likely explanation  - Garston at that time had only 2 big employers ...The Copper Works and the Salt warehouse - which had moved from the Liverpool Dock around that period ....I think Joseph was more likely to have been involved in the Salt trade first - and maybe then went to sea at a later date .... :)

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Here is the copy marriage bond

On the bond they say Margery Mercer is 23 years old could that be a lie

Regards
Nc