Author Topic: Name of the ship required  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name of the ship required
« on: Friday 08 January 16 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello folks,
I'm just looking to see if anyone can help me with the name of a ship where my ancestor was washed overboard back on 24th December 1928. It happened off the Isle of May and his body was never found. His name was Alexander Grundison Buchanan.
He was aged 39 and worked on the ship as a mate.
On his death certificate, it lists the name of the ship, but it could be one of two possibles.
The name of the ship was either the Linn O' Des or the Linn O' Dee.
Official number was 137,118. Not sure what that refers to?
Ship was registered in Aberdeen. Several of the Buchanan ancestors were Fisherman in and around Prestonpans in East Lothian. So i'm just wondering if this was perhaps a small fishing boat or maybe something a bit more grand.
Yours,
Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name of the ship required
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeen Journal - Tuesday 25 December 1928
Alexander Grundison Buchanan mate on the steam trawler Linn of Dee, of Aberdeen , is reported to have been washed overboard while the vessel was trawling in the North Sea about 180 miles east of the May Island.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
137118 would be the official registered number of the ship, although looking at other sources you want 137181

137181:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages.php?year=1920&name=MONITOR&page=402&imagesource=CLIP%C2%A0images

This number is then very helpful if you wanted to locate other information like crew lists and figure out where they're held:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum.php
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 16 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Can confirm the  official number of LINN O' DEE was 137181  Her 1928 Logbooks and Crew Agreements are available to order from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=137181

The contents contained within will be sparse and probably give you little more information than you already have apart from maybe his last address. Being lost overboard from a North Sea Trawler was a common occurrence and it would be doubtful if the circumstances would  have extended to an Enquiry or Coroners Inquest.
That said, if you wish to dig a little deeper, then the Crew Agreement may tell you his previous ship.
My feeling is that he was a fisherman but he may have gone "deep sea" at sometime in his life. (maybe WW1)
Could you give us his date and place of birth?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
You can see the page in the Crew List Project at  http://www.crewlist.org.uk/images/MNL1920/MNL1920_0348.gif

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 08:30 GMT (UK) »
May I just say - mine might be a very rare case - but I received an e mail 4 years ago from an Irish TV Director asking me if I would travel to Ireland to participate in a TV programme about a collision between The Oceanic and the SS Kincora off Tuskar Rock off the coast of Ireland 8th august 1901...I had been researching my gg grandfather who was lost at sea and was one of the 7 killed in that collision - my family were told my gg grandfather was lost at sea and his body never found ....a bit like your scenario.
this is what happened when I went to make the film - it transpired his body WAS found - but my family were never told ??....why ???...we will never know - but we believe it may have been about "compensation"
The SS Kincora sank seven miles south of Tuskar Rock after colliding with The Oceanic, a huge liner that belonged to the White Star Line company. Seven men on board lost their lives, with the remains of only one of them – a Carl Freidrich Sacht – ever being found, as they washed ashore a few weeks later. Following an inquest, he was buried in Fethard-on-Sea. However, his family never knew this until they were contacted earlier this year by the director of the documentary, RoseAnn Foley.

After combing through church records and researching the events which followed the discovery of Sacht's body on the Ramston foreshore near Fethard, local historian Declan Ahearn was able to pinpoint where it is believed Sacht was buried. In the program, Sacht's great great grandson Allan Oakes, and his great granddaughter Jeannette Pimblett, travel there to visit the grave of their missing forebear, who was originally from Heligoland, off the coast of Germany. In a moving sequence, they pay their respects and lay flowers on his grave in St Mogue's Cemetary, finally putting the soul of Carl Freidrich Sacht to rest, 110 years after he was lost at sea.

so - you never know - this thread you have posted - may bring the same good fortune I received out of the blue ........after 110 years we were able to pay our resects to my gg grandfather - he was a British Subject - he was born 1846 on the island of Helogoland -British owned at the time of his birth.
if I hadn't have posted my research on www.genealogistsforum.co.uk - that TV Director Maryann Foley would never have realised that the family of Carl Freirich Sacht were not aware that he had been washed ashore and buried without his family knowing ...22 days after he was lost at sea...
the very best of luck in your research....as I say - very rare - but you never know
 ;)
Allan Oakes - Garstonite
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 02:02 GMT (UK) »
That's a great outcome, Allan!   :)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies received so far. Now going through these points one at a time.
To Stan, seeing as Alexander fell overboard about 180 miles off the Island of May. That's located just off the coast of Fife. Would that take them somewhere around the coast of Norway if you were drawing a straight line?
I was in Scotland's People in Edinburgh last week doing some research on the Buchanan line and that link that Stan posted turns out to be the same certificate I received for Alexander's death certificate. So maybe they are using this because they don't have an official death certificate.
To jorose, it might be worth following up for a crew list for 1928 to see if it gives any more info on him.
To Seaweed, Yes I might pursue with a crew agreement request. His date of birth was 11th February 1890 and he was born in Gardiners Close, Cockenzie, Tranent, East Lothian. 
To Allan, Seeing as the ship didn't sink, we might never know if his body was ever found or not. It could have been washed ashore somewhere. The ship became Ocean Brine LH78 in 1935 and it was cut up in 1955 at Milford Haven.

Yours,

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 January 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend who makes model boats and he was going to build me a small wooden replica of the original ship. But he was asking me for the fleet colours of the Standard Fishing Company of Aberdeen Ltd. Is there anyone out there who can maybe tell me the fleet colours if they have any reference books on the subject?

Yours,
Wilton Endeavour