Author Topic: Trying to find Mary (Pierce) Wilson/Johanson  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Elsinoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Mary (Pierce) Wilson/Johanson
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Back after a few years while I beat my head against several family tree walls! I'm trying to find Mary Pierce Wilson (b1890, Scotland).

I'm posting in the Canada forum because so far the only record I have of her is her marriage in 1924 to Arthur Albert Johanson (Johansson/Johansen.. and many other spellings!). The marriage took place on 27 Oct 1924 in York, Ontario. Her parents are listed as Edward Pierce and Mary Quinn, and she is a widow, previously married to an unknown Wilson. Her date and place of birth come from this one document.

Before and after that point I can find no record of her. I don't know when she came to Canada -- as a child, after her first marriage? With her parents or her first husband? Even Edward Pierce and Mary Quinn are hard to track down. It may be that I'm just stuck in a search rut and not thinking outside of the box, but I would really appreciate some new eyes on the problem and any ideas you may have.

I don't know if she had children with Wilson, but I'm almost certain that she had two children with Arthur Johanson, but again, I can find no records. I'm fairly new to Canadian databases, and struggling. I have managed to track down Arthur's details -- he was my great uncle and British Home Child, but his family knew nothing about his previous relationship(s).

Apologies if this should go in the Scotland forum -- I am guessing that it's not appropriate to put it in both places?

Thank you for your help.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Mary (Pierce) Wilson/Johanson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsinoe,

You say you are back after a few years, perhaps you can provide us the links to those queries. You also dont say which avenues you have traveled in your search. That would be a good start. Have you looked at the 1921 census, contacted the York branch of the Toronto Public Library (apparently noted for its genealogy resources) among of places? Perhaps the couple migrated to the USA - quite common. If they did, have you checked the x-border info? the Ontario Archives may have their land purchase records.

Sounds like you have a challenge, hope this helps you out.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsinoe,

Since the 1924 marriage cert. is your starting point for Canada, I was wondering if you had tried tracking down the two witnesses to see if there could be any family connection to Mary?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Elsinoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. I didn't think the old thread would still be here!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=457406.msg3187459#msg3187459

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 04:38 GMT (UK) »
I believe I've found 2 reasons why you were having problems finding Mary. 1) Her parents listed their surname spelled Peirce on a number of documents and 2) Mary lied about her age when she married. Mary is listed as 26 for her first marriage which would make her birth year 1881. She was listed as 34 on the marriage registration from 1924. Her birth registration indicates she was actually born 2 May 1886 in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire.

The marriage for Mary Pierce to Robert Wilson occurred on 1 Nov 1907 at St Marks Roman Catholic Church in Shettleston, Glasgow. Her parents are listed as Edward Pierce and Mary Quin (both deceased).

There is a death for an Edward Peirce (note spelling) who died 29 Aug 1889 in a furnace accident in Dennistoun, Glasgow. He was listed as having been married second to Mary Queen. His parents were Bartholomew Peirce and Mary Fiztpatrick (both deceased). Mary Peirce (widow) was the informant.

Mary Quin died 30 May 1904 in Shettleston, Glasgow. She is listed as being first married to Edward Peirce and second to William McNamara. Her parents were James Quin and Bridget Hainey (both deceased). Her son Edward Peirce was the informant.

The marriage registration for Edward Peirce and Mary Queen is at Scotlands People. They married in 1871 in Bridgeton.

If you PM me your email address I can send you the registrations I viewed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 06:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for James Wilson born 31 Jul 1908 in Shettleston to Robert Wilson and Mary Pierce. Marriage date listed matches with your Mary.

I found a Form 30A for Mary (widow) who arrived in Quebec in 1923 on the Montrose. She and her children were going to Toronto and their passage was paid for by the Salvation Army. She also listed her brother, James Pierce as her nearest relative from where he came.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gtt/

Here are her children's Form 30As:

James Wilson (15)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gts/

Robert (13)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gtu/

Cissie (11)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gtv/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Elsinoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsinoe,

Since the 1924 marriage cert. is your starting point for Canada, I was wondering if you had tried tracking down the two witnesses to see if there could be any family connection to Mary?

sami

I hadn't thought of this and will do, thank you!

Offline Elsinoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsinoe,

You say you are back after a few years, perhaps you can provide us the links to those queries. You also dont say which avenues you have traveled in your search. That would be a good start. Have you looked at the 1921 census, contacted the York branch of the Toronto Public Library (apparently noted for its genealogy resources) among of places? Perhaps the couple migrated to the USA - quite common. If they did, have you checked the x-border info? the Ontario Archives may have their land purchase records.

Sounds like you have a challenge, hope this helps you out.

JDC

I remember sending a few emails out to some local genealogy societies and getting no replies :( I admit that I'm more comfortable with all the online resources, but some good old fashioned methods may be in order too. Thank you.

Offline Elsinoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I believe I've found 2 reasons why you were having problems finding Mary. 1) Her parents listed their surname spelled Peirce on a number of documents and 2) Mary lied about her age when she married. Mary is listed as 26 for her first marriage which would make her birth year 1881. She was listed as 34 on the marriage registration from 1924. Her birth registration indicates she was actually born 2 May 1886 in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire.

The marriage for Mary Pierce to Robert Wilson occurred on 1 Nov 1907 at St Marks Roman Catholic Church in Shettleston, Glasgow. Her parents are listed as Edward Pierce and Mary Quin (both deceased).

There is a death for an Edward Peirce (note spelling) who died 29 Aug 1889 in a furnace accident in Dennistoun, Glasgow. He was listed as having been married second to Mary Queen. His parents were Bartholomew Peirce and Mary Fiztpatrick (both deceased). Mary Peirce (widow) was the informant.

Mary Quin died 30 May 1904 in Shettleston, Glasgow. She is listed as being first married to Edward Peirce and second to William McNamara. Her parents were James Quin and Bridget Hainey (both deceased). Her son Edward Peirce was the informant.

The marriage registration for Edward Peirce and Mary Queen is at Scotlands People. They married in 1871 in Bridgeton.

If you PM me your email address I can send you the registrations I viewed.

Jacquie

Wow! These are routes I would probably never have gone down. Thanks so much! Now I won't get any work done today as I chase this down further. I will PM my email.