Author Topic: Thropton All Saints - catholic burial registers, Luke family  (Read 1715 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thropton All Saints - catholic burial registers, Luke family
« on: Monday 11 January 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of or access to the burial registers for All Saints RC church at Thropton ?  These are not online anywhere or transcribed anywhere online I've found.  I know they are held at Woodhorn archives but I'm the other end of the country  ::)

Burials I'm looking for would be Edward Luke and his wife Eleanor (nee Dixon) would be 1786 onwards as that is last baptism date of their children (the All Saints RC baptism register is on Ancestry as are oddly a couple of pages of deaths at the end of the images though not sure how complete these are). 

Also Rothbury is listed on "Roman Catholic Registers" leaflet from Woodhorn as having only baptism register 1724-1811.  Was there only a mission at Rothbury ?

Any help or guidance much appreciated
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Thropton All Saints - catholic burial registers, Luke family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm planning to be at Woodhorn on Wednesday - happy to do a look-up

The best online information for Northumberland is here

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Parishes.html

Keep following the trail until you get to the church records and all available records and their locations are revealed!

Christine

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 02:59 GMT (UK) »
What I found in Rothbury which is the C of E parish that the RC was in.

Marriages:

Edward Luke of Kidland Lordship, being in this case deemed extraparochial and Eleanor Dixon of Flotterton in this parish 3 Jun 1776

Robert Ellsworth of Rothbury and Jane Luke of Cartington by banns 23 Jun 1803

Edward Luke of Cartington and Agnes Donaldson of The Forest, both of this parish by banns 16 May 1808

Burials:

James Luke son of Edward Luke of Great Tosson buried 20 Jul 1787

Edward Luke of Cartington 7 Sep 1796

Eleanor Luke of Felton, widow, died Apr 14, buried 17 Apr 1812, age 65

Hope this helps if just to locate a date for the RC registers in case there were funeral records.  Not too many catholic or dissenter churches had burials grounds of their own back then.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 03:16 GMT (UK) »
One other burial at Rothbury but a bit later:  Anne Luke, age 60 of Gallow Field House 19 Jun 1836.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  Having kept scratching at this one it looks like both Edward & Eleanor though definitely Catholic were buried at the Anglican cemetery at Rothbury.  Thus the burials in 1796 and 1812 as seen by 2zpool and I had already wondered about.  The one for Eleanor has place of abode in error, possibly because she was not part of their Anglican congregation or as its a Bishop's transcript which are not immune from errors.  There are a few pages of RC deaths at Thropton on Ancestry with Eleanor recorded as Helen, always interchangeable, of "Cartington Alms" which was an almshouse for Catholic widows close to Cartington Castle (there is a plaque on All Sinats church Thropton that refers to its founding).  Looking at the Woodhorn leaflet on Catholic records held there, the death/burial records at Thropton RC only go back to 1797 so won't be able to find the matching RC record for Edward as did for Eleanor/Helen  :(

All the other ones in your first reply 2zpool I did already have but the Anne Luke 1836 burial is a new one and abode matches perfectly with baptism records for her children 8)  Can you let me know where you found this one so I can correctly record it.

I think this is actually Anne the wife of Edward Luke (1781-1850) the son of Edward & Eleanor.  Anne was recorded in their 1808 marriage as "Agnes", this is another of those interchangeable names and I've it seen several times.  Edward has a large gravestone at All Saints in Thropton but Anne is not recorded on it though several later deaths are, I've attached a photo I took of it.

c-side would be great if you could do a couple of lookups for me at Woodhorn still though target is now the next generation I think.  Deaths for Anne Luke 1836, to see if there is a matching death record at All Saints Thropton RC (as was the case for her mother-in-law) Eleanor/Helen and whilst I have a death date for her husband Edward Luke of 14 Sep 1850 would be nice to have the burial date.  Those are the essential ones and would certainly be appreciated.  If the others on the gravestone picture can be easily found they would be a bonus  8)

Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
C of E parish churches had the burial grounds for their area.  There was a consecrated and unconsecrated section. 

I have transcripts from Rothbury.  Years ago the parish church published these records over a period of time in their monthly newsletter or magazine. 

Rothbury is one of my favorite places to go to in Northumberland.

Janis

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks 2zpool, I'll put down "Rothbury Parish Magazine" as the source for now as I think I might try and get the early 1800s transcriptions for Rothbury that NDFHS have on disc.  I just had a look to see if back issues of the magazine might be online (as some parishes have put loads online) but no luck.  I did find the 1816 "census" for Rothbury but none of my Luke family are on there, I guess Gallowfield (sp?) would have been just beyond the boundary, maybe ?  A pity as the "census" has some wonderful detail.

I have lots of that cluster of the family line in the area and my gg grandmother worked at Cragend Farm just outside in 1850s.  We went for a quick look at it from the footpath and the owner ended up showing us round all the renovations as they do cookery classes and all sorts there now. 

Pete
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
2zpool I just realised I have a PDF of registers published in the Rothbury Parish Magazine, from when I was following a red herring in a parallel line, but they only go up to 1812  :P These were the transcription by David Dippie Dixon who wrote the seminal local history books "Upper Coquetdale" & "Whittingham Vale"

Did they publish the later ones in the parish magazine as well, i.e. 1836, some time later ??  ::)
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
No those came from Ancestral Indexes but were only names and dates for baptisms and marriages.  The burials contained where the person lived and their age.