Author Topic: Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth Gilmour Brown Robertson  (Read 4647 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Naylor Clark and Elizabeth Gilmour Brown Robertson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
thank you ladyhawk i did have those dates and facts,but only since yesterday. Robert did remarry a lady called Nora. i was sat yesterday thinking to myself how strange it is that my grandmother (Robert and Elizabeths daughter) has so many siblings and so many aunts and uncles on both sides that she recalls, but none that she is willing to give me much infomation about. i decided to face whatever sharp tongue she would have (being a scot it can be very sharp indeed!) and i rang her and asked her about her family. turns out when her mum and dad divorced she 'took her dads side' as her mum saw it and that was it. her and her mum did speak but only as a must and only once or twice a year. my gran remembers vague names and faces but only as aunty so and so, and no idea which sides they were from. such a shame when families fall apart. im determined to get all the family down on paper so this doesnt happen again!

i am hoping to twist the husbands arm and get him to purchase me some credits for scotlandspeople this weekend. he is a huge marine fish geek and seems to spend lots of pennies on fish, so i figure its got to be my turn for some spending lol. only trouble is when im a kept woman i have no funds of my own to spend without his knowledge haha.

just wondering if anyone could help with a name. my gran remembers her dads mum being called or at least refered to as jan ann. said exactely like that, but no matter how i look i cant find a jan ann, is it the scottish accent? am i looking for the right name? any ideas would be great.

thanks again for everyones help. i will let you all know how i get on with the certs, no doubt picking your brains again too.

Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »

just wondering if anyone could help with a name.

my gran remembers her dads mum being called or at least refered to as jan ann.

said exactely like that, but no matter how i look i cant find a jan ann, is it the scottish accent?

Could it be one of these names  :-\

JEANNIE: Variant spelling of Scottish Jeanie

JEANE: Variant spelling of Scottish Jean

JEANIE: Pet form of Scottish Jean,

meaning "God is gracious."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
my gran remembers her dads mum being called or at least refered to as jan ann. said exactely like that, but no matter how i look i cant find a jan ann, is it the scottish accent?

Could be Jean Ann(e) or Jane Ann(e)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 January 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
so my gran popped in today and we had a little chat. ive tried to get her to look at the tree as its written down but she ends up going off on a memory and i didnt get far. she did though comment on one thing as its the same thing you clever people noiticed about Aniie Brown 1872-1973 being a 51 year old mother. my gran remembers that her granny died when she was about 72/73, meaning that aniie brown that i have in the 1901 census isnt the right annie and is most likely annie browns mother, annie brown sr.
im writing this with a fair amount of painkillers in my system and im in pain still so if its a bit jumbled i apologise. my main objective for writing this post was to let you all know you were right x
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear things aren't going your way at the moment, hope it all improves soon.

Thanks for letting us know our combined thought processes are still in order  ;D

Have you thought of recording your gran's voice when she 'goes off on a memory'? Invaluable in years to come.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
comment on one thing as its the same thing you clever people noiticed about
Aniie Brown 1872-1973 being a 51 year old mother. my gran remembers that her granny died when she was about 72/73,

meaning that aniie brown that i have in the 1901 census isnt the right annie and is most likely annie browns mother, annie brown sr.

Thanks for your reply hope you feel better soon

This seems to be a match for Alexander on 1891c

Alexander Robertson 23 (1868) Stirling, Stirlingshire Occ Railway Signalman
Relationship:   Lodger
Registration Number:   644/11
Registration district:   Hutchesontown
Civil Parish:   Glasgow Govan
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   61 Cathcart Rd
ED:   107
Household schedule number:   103
LINE:   9
Roll:   CSSCT1891_289

George Mc Allan 70
Margret 68
James Hanton 21
Alexr Miller 21

and a possibility for Alexander’s wife Annie although her pob Glasgow not  Bothkennar
living same area Hutchesontown Glasgow Govan Lanarkshire

Annie Brown 20 (1871) Glasgow Lanarkshire
Relationship:   Servant
Registration Number:   644/11
Registration district:   Hutchesontown
Civil Parish: Glasgow Govan
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   8 Mathieson Lane
ED:   66 Household schedule number:   69 LINE:   21
Roll:   CSSCT1891_288

John McLaughlin 44
Catherine 34