Author Topic: Seeking 3 WEDDELL / WADDELL Brothers aft 1866  (Read 3635 times)

Offline aberheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking 3 WEDDELL / WADDELL Brothers aft 1866
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
John Weddell's father, also John (Waddell) (1763-1850) was initially a farm hind (agricultural labourer , usually working with horses) then took over the tenancy of the farm Newmills (and Trabrown) near Lauder sometime in the early 1800s. John (1803-66 ,my gggrandfather) did work at Newmills in the early 1830s alongside his elder brother George but then was an innkeeper/tollkeeper at  various Tolls - Klilnkhimin Toll, Carfraemill ; Clockmill Toll Bar, Duns ;  Soutrahill Toll, Fala. He returned to farming as Steward (farm foreman) at Newmills then took on the tenancy of Balleny Farm, Currie around 1849.
Sadly he went bankrupt in 1862 and by his death in 1866 was in Glasgow with his second wife Mary Steen (and his second family). Mary  had a stationer's shop. I assume that as a journeyman joiner in Glasgow and now in his sixties he would not necessarily have served an apprenticeship.
The three brothers sought are sons of his first marriage to Janet Mitchell who were at Balleny in the 1861 census but then disappeared (apart from James Weddell who in 1866 notified his father's death, before disappearing). I believe that they would have emigrated but have found no trace anywhere.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 January 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Aberheart,…thank you for the extra tid-bits..it all help.It seems that these 3 brothers left for places unknown (yet).
Always hopefull someone will come across these posts and say "hey,this could be mine"…especially if the 3 hung on to the spelling of Weddell instead of Waddell.
 Aberheart….do you come down through John born 1833 or Alexander in 1837??
     Cheers

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline aberheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Ann,
 Any problems with your e-mail  on your normal address? I'm receiving yours but my responses are not being delivered over the past couple of days. Any alternatives I can use?
John, Aberdeen

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
  Received yours of Mar 10  & Mar 11….replied to both, starting with (It's been awhile) & (Great research). Then sent one Mar 13 (Slowly working)
   Drop me another test email…Cheers
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Fifer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 August 16 21:17 BST (UK) »
I am reaching out with hopes someone will know something.
 I am seeking 3 Weddell/Waddell brothers.
I last have them together on the 1861 census at Balleny Farm House,Currie,Midlothian.
 They were listed with their father John Weddell & step mother Mary & four 1/2 siblings.

Their Names & birth years are:
 Thomas Weddell born    c 1840 at Dunse,Berwickshire.
 James   Weddell born Oct 1844 at Fala,Midlothian
 Robert  Weddell born Jun 1847 at Lauder,Berwickshire.

I am beginning to believe that they "might" have immigrated to ,who knows where.
If any of these three brother sound like they might be yours,..do drop a line.
  Many thanks……Ann

I have Weddell in my family tree also from the Edinburgh area. John Weddell, born 17/11/1812 in Newbattle, Midlothian, Edinburgh was my Gt GT GT Grandfather. John had 2 brothers, David born 1808 and Thomas born 1811. As you'll be aware Weddell sometimes becomes Weddle or Waddell or Waddle etc! I would imagine there will be a connection between the families mentioned as it wasn't a common name.
Fife - Anderson, Farquhar, Graham, Greenhill, Hume, Paton, Sharp, Penman, Birrell, Christie
Edinburgh / Midlothian - Graham, Watt, Cunningham, Hume, Kerr, Farquhar, McAlpine, Weddell, Stirling, Liddell, Eckford, Finnie
Queensland, Australia - Greenhill
NSW, Australia - Anderson
California, USA - Watt
Alabama, USA - Watt
Missouri, USA - Farquhar
Quebec, Canada - Campbell
Alberta / British Columbia, Canada - Anderson

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 August 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
These Weddell brothers ancestors were pretty much all Berwick born and raised.
   I just checked my records back to 1735.
I do thank you for touching basis.one never knows.
  Also noticed I have no David names  in my Weddell research.