Author Topic: marriage glasgow  (Read 1695 times)

Offline patriciarobinson47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage glasgow
« on: Saturday 16 January 16 14:36 GMT (UK) »
any info re mary Morrison gorbals and William Vickers  Cumberland married 1819 Glasgow 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: marriage glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 16 15:38 GMT (UK) »
any info re mary Morrison gorbals and William Vickers  Cumberland married 1819 Glasgow

Not very much info for us to work from is there?  You need to tell us what you already have to avoid duplication of effort

Do you have them on any census - where were they living at that time - Scotland or England?  There is an 1841 entry in Cumberland  for a William & Mary Vickers both b Cumberland - is that them?

Please post full 1841 details so we have some details to work from

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:33 GMT (UK) »
patricia, the bride's church was most probably Gorbals Parish Church in Carlton Place on the Clyde. The groom was most probably C of E and the only Episcopalisn church in Glasgow at that date was St Andrews on the Green, mainly used by English soldiers from the nearby barracks on the Gallowgate or the cavalry barracks across the river. Was this guy in the army?

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

Can you post the names of any children in order please (with any middle names) as this can sometimes identify grandparents if using traditional naming pattern?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 16 08:36 GMT (UK) »
how interesting   I believe from my searching Wm was a soldier in the royal horse artillery  and came out in 1819 when he returned to C arlisle  died in 1846  it says on his release papers he was from Woslinton Cumberland but no such place exists  so perhaps Workington,,  he enlisted in Carlisle but I don't know how to get his papers for that  where it might state place of birth again.. I f he was in the barracks in Glasgow how can I find the details of this as it might give me more info  re parents  so I can at last prove his parentage  much appreciated this is a breakthrough if I can get more details  Do you know the battalions etc that were stationed there  thanks   much appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »

Have you viewed the original marriage record(s) at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
patricia, 1819 was an interesting time in Glasgow's history, the radical weavers of the east end were busy making weapons for the forthcoming confrontation with the military, which came in 1820 with the Scottish Insurrection & the Battle of Bonnymuir. Around that time the city was an armed camp with the volunteers of the Glasgow Sharpshooters billeted in the infantry barracks with the 13th & 33rd line regiments & 7th Fusileers while the cavalry barracks in Port Eglinton Street held the 7th & 10th Hussars & The Artillery. Which would be about right for your man?

Skoosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
skoosh is there anyway I can get a list of the artillery soldiers there, incidentally  Wm was a weaver by trade thank you for taking the time to provide the info  and the other question by Forfarian  yes I have the marriage info thank you