Author Topic: 1829 look like William Coombs left Gory Parish, County Wexford, Ireland,  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
1829 look like William Coombs left Gory Parish, County Wexford, Ireland,
« on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:19 GMT (UK) »
This is my GGG Grandfather.  He left Gory Parish in 1829 to come to Canada.  He came with 2 females & 2 males (making a total of 4).  Comments were: "William Coombs has a brother Samuel residing in Gory with a very large family who is known to Lord Courtown of Gory".  He signs his own name which indicates some degree of literacy.  In a list of mostly Irish Settlers in the Ottawa Valley".

Always thought this man was born in Wales?  But this is what the item says?  It comes from the National Archives of Canada (Ottawa), Colonial Office 384, Volume 22, page 78, reel B-945.

Is there a way to trace this family in the Gory Parish?  How did he get to Ireland??
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1829 look like William Coombs left Gory Parish, County Wexford, Ireland,
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
He came with 2 females & 2 males (making a total of 4)  ?? 

5?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »

Is there a way to trace this family in the Gory Parish?  How did he get to Ireland??

Catholic parish?
Church of Ireland Parish?
Muslim?

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Unsure if this is my GGG Grandfather.  Always thought he was born in Wales & his wives name was Mary Lovell.  As someone sent me that information, thought I would ask for Wexford.  My 3x Great Grandfather was supposedly called George but the information could be wrong?

Am sure he ended up as a Methodist but what he was in Ireland or Wales - well…….
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 16 00:39 GMT (UK) »
The record of William Coombs (and John his brother) where Samuel is mentioned
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/22293.transcript

There are quite a lot of Coombs in the area of Gorey and nearby Ferns.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
A few points:
- The standard spelling of the placename is Gorey. I understand that the original you found uses Gory, but you need to know the standard spelling.
- Gorey is the principal town in the north of Co. Wexford. There are also Catholic and CofI parishes by the same name.
- Why did/do you think your relative came from Wales? You give no information on this.
- You ask how he got from Wales to Ireland. Well, he did not walk, that is for sure! There are no records of movement between Ireland and Britain.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 23:12 GMT (UK) »
WO 97/33/100SAMUEL COOMBS alias SAMUEL COOMBES Born FERNS, Wexford
Served in 4th Dragoons; 14th Dragoons Discharged aged 48 1824-1848

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WEXFORD/2012-04/1333464354

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wexflyer

This old information I had but never believed my family came from Ireland.  Was planning on checking it out which is why I posted the question,  Believe my Coombs came from Penmark, Glamorgan, Wales & were married there in 1816.  Was actually hoping to get a bit more information on this enquiry, but looks like there isn't a lot more.  Coombs is a Welsh name so maybe years before the family moved there??