Author Topic: Concerts in Deighton, Huddersfield, during the early part of 1834  (Read 529 times)

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Concerts in Deighton, Huddersfield, during the early part of 1834
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find the details of a concert held in Deighton, during the early part of 1834 where Miss Sykes, who later became Mrs Sunderland, first sang in the Huddersfield area.  I have two concerts in Calderdale recorded for 1833, but am struggling, as did a previous archivist, to find any details about this Deighton event.
With thanks for any suggestions.
TraLaLa

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Concerts in Deighton, Huddersfield, during the early part of 1834
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find the details of a concert held in Deighton, during the early part of 1834 where Miss Sykes, who later became Mrs Sunderland, first sang in the Huddersfield area.

I have two concerts in Calderdale recorded for 1833, but am struggling, as did a previous archivist, to find any details about this Deighton event.

With thanks for any suggestions.

You probably have all this detail but have posted just in case.... may help others looking

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/s231_1.html

quote from the above link regarding Mrs Susan Sunderland Calender of Events
At the age of 15, she sang Wise Men Flattering from Handel's Judas Maccabaeus at Deighton, Huddersfield, her first appearance on the public concert platform
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ladyhawk,
I have added information to the Calderdale Companion, about Susannah Sykes, who became Mrs Sunderland. Deighton was said to be her first appearance in the Huddersfield area, but Malcolm Bull and I have two concerts recorded In 1833, one at The Red Lion in Rastrick, and an earlier one at Lightcliffe Church.
According to Smith who wrote about music in Yorkshire, Deighton was THE place for choral singing at this time, so there are some records tucked away somewhere.  By 1836 at the tender age of 17, she was engaged to appear in Lincolnshire at Stamford County Assembly Rooms.  I wonder who went with her, and how she got to and from Stamford?  Always more questions than answers.
Many thanks again
TraLaLa

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Slightly more information.  It was a benefit concert put on by Deighton Musical Society.  Alas no date or newspaper report.