Author Topic: Verify Townland-Doughery Road  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Verify Townland-Doughery Road
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
My Father's Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles had a farm at 31 Doughery Road, just about half a mile before Ballynanny and Doughery Road meet, near the Loughbrickland Presbyterian Church. I am trying to find out what year the family settled on the farm, but I am unsure of the Town land. The family name was Fergus/Gratton. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Susan Graham

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Verify Townland-61 Doughery Road
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I have made a mistake as far as the address for the farm. It should be 61 Doughery Road and not 31. I checked google map and that is the address they gave. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Verify Townland-Doughery Road
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Dooghary I think.
Using Griffiths Valuation map, there is a slider top right. You can slide from the modern to the old map showing townlands.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Search for Dooghary than click on the map it will get you to the general area at least, you would have a better idea of the position of the farm than I would.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:04 GMT (UK) »
I believe the town land is Caskum and the road is spelled Doughery Road. It is near Ballynanny Road.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Based on where google maps says that the location is, the townland of Caskum is too far west:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/AghadergTownlands.htm

I think it is in the townland of Dooghary in the civil parish of Seaptrick:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/SeapatrickMagherallyTownlands.htm 

Follow this link to a c.1830s map of the area, I've placed the crosshair exactly on the property I think it is, based on what google maps shows as the location of 61 Doughery Road today (if google maps is correct!):

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,713502,843349,9,7

In the link above, select STREET MAP over to the the right to see the area in a contemporary map and note the distinct road layout in the immediate vicinity.  Compare it to the road layout in google maps, you will see it is broadly the same. Then select HISTORIC 6" over to the right to see the old map again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not disputing what Sinann and gaffy have said but is it possible you are confusing where the Fergus family lived with where the Grattans lived?

PRONI does show this extract-
Grattan John of Caskum Loughbrickland county Down farmer died 14 December 1940 Probate Belfast 13 October to Alexander Dale farmer. Effects £220 10s.

Don't forget you can follow a property in the Valuation Revision Books (www.proni.gov.uk) from the printed version of Griffiths until c1930. The dates marked are not exact but can give a good indication of when changes happened.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I never considered that the family farm on Doughery Road near Ballynanny could have been the Grattan's farm (my dad's Mothers people) and not the Fergus's farm. I just assumed once they married they would live and work on the Fergus's farm!! I am 100% sure of the area so now need to follow the Grattan's side of the family to see when they first settled there if I can. Thank you again for giving me another direction to investigate!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Grattan John of Caskum Loughbrickland county Down farmer died 14 December 1940 Probate Belfast 13 October to Alexander Dale farmer. Effects £220 10s.

A James Alexander Dale, son of Hugh, married 31 Jan.1910 Banbridge district to Mary Jane Grattan, daughter of Thomas.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!!! This new info is amazing and thanks to you I believe I am back on track. You are so lovely and kind. Best wishes always, Susan canada